Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Questions from a beginner

tang_1949
Beginner
I installed the Intel Visual Fortran a few months ago but didn't get a chance to run it till today. I used tocompile Fortran programs in Linux andcame upon a couple of problemsfor running Intel VF inWindows.
(1) When I debug the program, the print out just flashed in a command window and disappeared. How can Iview the printout so that I can monitor the run?
(2) I tried to use the program in the command line,such as "ifort /c test.f90". But I got an error message as:
'command "ifort" is not valid'.

Now I am stuck. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you select "Start without debugging" from the Debug menu, the console window will remain open after the program exits. Otherwise, set a breakpoint on the END statement of your program so that when you run under the debugger, the window will still be there (untiil you proceed from the breakpoint.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The preferred way to run the compiler from command line is to find the Intel Software entry on the start menu, and open the Fortran Build environment. You should also be able to run your program in this window.
0 Kudos
tang_1949
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
The preferred way to run the compiler from command line is to find the Intel Software entry on the start menu, and open the Fortran Build environment. You should also be able to run your program in this window.

Tim,

Thanks for the reply! However, I don't understand a bit of it as a beginner.

I wish I could view the printout as the program is running or just ran. Otherwise I have to output some results in a text file in order to checkthe programdid as it was supposed to do.

Best.
Gong
0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - tang_1949

Tim,

Thanks for the reply! However, I don't understand a bit of it as a beginner.

I wish I could view the printout as the program is running or just ran. Otherwise I have to output some results in a text file in order to checkthe programdid as it was supposed to do.

Best.
Gong

Gong,
You need to open a console window.
At the bottom left (usually) of the screen there is a "Start" button
If you click on that then a menu of items appears - one of which is "Programs"
Click on "Programs"
Find the item "Intel Software Development Tools"
Click on that
Clck the "Intel Fortran Compiler ..." you installed
Click "Build Environment for Fortran ..."

This will open a console window with the necessary paths set

You should now be able to change directory to where your program executable is and run it and/or compile it.Any messages will appear in the console window.

Les
0 Kudos
tang_1949
Beginner
Quoting - Les Neilson

Gong,
You need to open a console window.
At the bottom left (usually) of the screen there is a "Start" button
If you click on that then a menu of items appears - one of which is "Programs"
Click on "Programs"
Find the item "Intel Software Development Tools"
Click on that
Clck the "Intel Fortran Compiler ..." you installed
Click "Build Environment for Fortran ..."

This will open a console window with the necessary paths set

You should now be able to change directory to where your program executable is and run it and/or compile it.Any messages will appear in the console window.

Les

Les,

Thanks for the information! I was able to run the program and see the output in the console window. However, I still wonder if there is a way that I can see the output in a window when I am running the program in the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.

Gong
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
If you select "Start without debugging" from the Debug menu, the console window will remain open after the program exits. Otherwise, set a breakpoint on the END statement of your program so that when you run under the debugger, the window will still be there (untiil you proceed from the breakpoint.)
0 Kudos
tang_1949
Beginner
Quoting - tang_1949
I installed the Intel Visual Fortran a few months ago but didn't get a chance to run it till today. I used tocompile Fortran programs in Linux andcame upon a couple of problemsfor running Intel VF inWindows.
(1) When I debug the program, the print out just flashed in a command window and disappeared. How can Iview the printout so that I can monitor the run?
(2) I tried to use the program in the command line,such as "ifort /c test.f90". But I got an error message as:
'command "ifort" is not valid'.

Now I am stuck. Thanks in advance.

I appreciate inputs from all!!!

Gong
0 Kudos