Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28488 Discussions

Read Binary Data written by VB/MATLAB

mohanmuthu
New Contributor I

Is it possible to read the binary data written by VisualBasic or MATLAB in fortran 12.1 directly (without using DLL)? If not, can we use the DLL created by MATLAB/VB to read it to fortran?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Fortran has ACCESS='stream' as an option to the file open statement. With this, you can process files as streams, but you have to know the structure of the file and do the management of the I/O from/to such a file.

A DLL can do anything that you program into it, and a subprogram in a DLL can certainly read a file and return the contents in the form of subprogram arguments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Fortran has ACCESS='stream' as an option to the file open statement. With this, you can process files as streams, but you have to know the structure of the file and do the management of the I/O from/to such a file.

A DLL can do anything that you program into it, and a subprogram in a DLL can certainly read a file and return the contents in the form of subprogram arguments.

0 Kudos