Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

Relaxation of rules for IMSL deployment licensing

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

In September 2011, the IMSL End User License Agreement was changed to require, in most cases, the purchase of a separate "deployment license" if someone other than the licensed developer was to run an application that used IMSL.

In July 2013, Intel and Rogue Wave negotiated a new agreement which eliminates the need for separately purchased deployment licenses in the following cases:

• The application developer is running the application using IMSL themselves.

• If Intel® Visual Fortran was purchased by an organization, an application using IMSL is being run by persons employed by or contracted to the organization in support of the organization's business.

• For cases that meet one of the two above descriptions, the application is run on a cluster or a system with more than four processors or more than four cores per processor.

For more information, see the revised article IMSL Licensing Frequently Asked Questions, as well as the revised IMSL End User License Agreement.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Steve,

Can you check the last condition - so I need a separate license if my machine has less than 4 cores, but not if I have more?  I would have thought the license restrictions would have been the reverse of this.  This condition does not appear to be explicit in the EULA.

thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

David,

Those are the conditions for which you no longer need a separate deployment license, whereas under the September 2011 EULA you did. Sorry if the wording is a bit confusing. Of course, the words of the EULA itself take precedence - I was trying to explain what changed.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Steve,

Do you mean that, previously machines with less than 4 cores did not need a separate license and this is now extended to machines with more (as long as either of the first two conditions are met)?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Previously, the one included deployment license was good for the developer but only on a system with four or fewer processors (sockets, not cores). When you did buy deployment licenses, they were priced by the number of cores on the system. All this about cores and processors and servers is gone. You need to buy deployment licenses only if the application will be sold or used outside your organization. Those you would buy from Rogue Wave and I don't know how they price things.

Prior to September 2011, the license was that you could run the application anywhere but not if it was a cluster or had more than four processors. There is no longer any restriction on the type of system you run as long as it's in your organization in support of your business. Again, if you sell the app or use of the app to others, then you have to buy a deployment license from Rogue Wave.

0 Kudos