Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Retiring!

Barbara_P_Intel

It's time for me to bid farewell to this wonderful community of Fortran folks! I am retiring from Intel effective May 3, 2024.

Unlike other "retirees" who participate on this forum, I will not be doing that. I am quitting Fortran cold turkey! After 49 years in the industry working mostly with Fortran code (writing code, porting, doing performance analysis and tuning, supporting, and delivering training) and working for a number of now defunct computer companies, it's time to do something new.

Thank you for modernizing my Fortran skills. Fortran was so much easier to understand before derived types arrived!

I will definitely miss you working with you all. I feel like many of you regulars are friends!

My best to you all!
Barbara Perz

0 Kudos
13 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Well all the best with the long term holiday !!!

Ron_Green

Thank you for all your help over many years. 

And wow, what a career!  From Fortran 77 to Fortran 2023!  Punched cards to touch screen laptops and voice recognition.  

Fortran is a small-ish community.  And you have been a part of our community for many years.  And in particular, you have been instrumental in keeping this User Forum alive and thriving.  You will be missed.

Enjoy your well earned retirement!

Ron

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Thank you for all you have done for the Community. I am sorry to see you go.

Jim Dempsey

(another old hat, started with FORTRAN II)

mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Barbara, thanks for your prompt and helpful handling of many bug reports and other issues in this forum over a number of years. May your retirement be joyful.

Your remarkable experience on a variety of architectures is rare, and that experience may yield a solution to a problem that the rest of us may have become stuck on now and then. So, please do visit this forum once in a while!

MWind2
New Contributor III

I would get tired watching you work the bug reports. You certainly deserve to be free at last.

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@Barbara_P_Intel ,

On behalf everyone among the teams I interact with at work on the application of Intel Fortran toward various technical and scientific computing tasks, please accept our congratulations on your decision and our sincere appreciation and thanks for everything you have delivered.  Words are inadequate to describe the outstanding service and support you have extended us.

Given the crazy demands and even crazier code snippets we have sent your way and scaling that up with all the users with whom you have interacted, we now can begin to understand your plans toward greener pastures away from Fortran!

Best wishes for a wonderful and blissful next inning, you will leave us with Intel Fortran 2024.2 that is better than ever before!

prop_design
New Contributor I

Congrats on a long career. I hope you enjoy your retirement.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Are there no human sacrifices to the Hawaiian Gods that could get you to stay?

Barbara_P_Intel
0 Kudos
Robert_van_Amerongen
New Contributor III

Thanks for all your kind help!

Enjoy your retirement.

Robert

Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Congratulations, Barbara! We've never met in person, but I really appreciate your dedication to the language and Intel's customers. Enjoy the next chapter in your life!

avinashs
New Contributor I

@Barbara_P_Intel Enjoy your well-deserved retirement. Thank-you for your dedication and help over the years - the IFORT compiler is in really good shape thanks to your efforts and those of others on this forum and the Intel team.

El_Zorro_Oro
New Contributor I

HI Barbra,

Sorry to lose such an experienced person.   Your knowledge and comments will be missed. Best of Luck in your new path.