Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

SQL and Fortran

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Dear Steve:

I have to address it to someone I suppose, Steve is as good as it gets.

I have had fun over the last 6 weeks with the Fortran Code from Germany, ForDBC. I purchased the SQL code to save a lot of data from esxperimental work to a SQL Server 2012 database.

The examples that come with the code are written for ACCESS and EXCEL. It has taken a while to revise them for SQL Server 2012, but it is not that difficult, more tedious dealing with the SQL Server error code issues.

The developer is responsive to questions and the code is pretty straightforward, albeit a little different to my quirky style.

If you are looking for this connection type, this works well.

I am sure Joerg will put up a SQL Example now that I have been pushing on this front. Hint Hint.

Regards

JMN

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, you don't actually have to address posts to anyone - your information is really directed to the community. I am aware of ForDBC but as it is a commercial product, I have not tried it myself.
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Steve:

1. I know, but it feels more personal than : Dear All.
2. I very rarely spend hard won research dollars on a Fortran Commercial Product, except for Intel compiler, I bought the NAG library a long time ago, but after trying two other ODBC connection Fortran methods, I can actually say the FORDBC is solid and I am now enjoying it.
3. My beefs are with SQL Server which has some funny error codes.

SQL Server Error Return Zero is a Successful connect, Code 1 is success with information, thousands of different states, but State 00000 is equivalent to Code Zero, just this little factoid is buried deep in the code.

I had to fix the check return to pcik this up which was my main slow up.

If you have a few hundred dollars to spend and want to connect easily through ODBC to Access, Excel or SQL Server then this is the way that was easiest for me. The first two are dead set easy, SQL Server takes a few hours longer.

Depends what your time is worth.

JMN

0 Kudos