Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Slow compilation

Stupak__Richard
Beginner

Hi all,

I have some mixed language DLL (c++ & fortran). I am using WIN7 with VS2015 and Intel fortran compiler 2016, when i try to compile it, it takes like 1 minute for one fortran file. When i compile it on WinXP VS6 and visual compaq fortran it takes like 1m for whole DLL.

When i am compiling other applications (pure c++) it goes fine.

Do you have any idea if there is some problem in settings of intel fortran compiler??

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi James, I had multiple files in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses' causing this issue. There should be normally only one file *.lic. Further list your system variables with 'SET | more' or 'set>my_sys_vars.txt' in a command shell. If you find 'LM_LICENSE_FILE' set, google how to remove system variables. You might need administrator rights.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

On Windows 10, right click "This PC" and select Properties. Click "Advanced System Settings". On the new screen, click "Environment Variables" at the bottom. Here is where you can edit system environment variables.

I don't think Linux has the concept of system environment variables.

0 Kudos
SL00
Beginner

Dear all,

I am now experiencing the same long compilation time as well.

real 13m49.774s

user 8m10.299s

sys 0m5.653s

Here is the product information,

Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 18.0.1.163 Build 20171018

Configuration of my laptop,

Memory: 16GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz × 4
OS type: 64-bit
Disk: 250GB SSD

My code is written in pure Fortran and has 332,333 lines.

Any idea about this?

Cheers,

Xiangyu

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Is this slow speed in relation to a change in compiler? What do you uses before and how long was a compile typically?

Your 332,333 lines of code, is this one file or many files? In have found that size of complexity of a file increases compile time in is disproportionate manner in some cases. 

But there are many possible causes and we do not have much to go on from your info.

0 Kudos