Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28527 Discussions

Source Control - SourceGear Offsite and Vault

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I currently use MS Visual SourceSafe and MS Dev Studio for a number of projects in Fortran and other languages. Our firm is becoming more and more spread out geographically and we need a source control solution that will work well over the internet, as well as integrating with Dev Studio.

Two promising products are SourceGear Offsite and SourceGear Vault. I asked this question of their tech support:

Q/
... we do a lot of development with Compaq Visual Fortran, which is integrated with the Developer Studio and Visual SourceSafe. Do you know if Vault or Source Offsite Classic will work with our Fortran projects?

A/
Both Vault and SOS Classic should integrate if Visual Fortran supports the MSSCI integration API. It is an unsupported environment, so the amount of help we would be able to provide if something goes wrong would be minimal.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Since Compaq Fortran already integrates into Dev Studio, I would guess the answer might be 'yes'.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Visual Fortran itself has no clue about source management - that is all handled by Microsoft code in Developer Studio. So whatever works with MSVC6 will almost certainly work with CVF.

Steve
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Integration is nice, but you can get by without it. I use SourceOffsite from Source Gear and I believe it integrates with Develper Studio, but I use VSS integrated with VSS when I am in the office. When I am out of the office, I don't use the built in source code integration and use SOS as a stand alone product. The Developer Studio does a good job of recognizing checked out files if the checkout was not performed within Developer Studio.

The one thing I like better about VSS is the differences view. SOS uses Windiff, which is serviceable, but not as nice.
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Thank you Steve -

That was my supposition also. Your reply and another by sdahl were very helpful

regards,
0 Kudos