Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Unresolved external problem

Mark_I_1
Beginner

Hi guys,

Been trying to figure this out for the last few days but to no avail..

I have a Fortran static library routine calling another Fortran static library routine. The caller code is below:

CHARACTER	p_EngLogPair1*MAX_CHOICE_LEN
	       CHARACTER	p_EngLogPair2*MAX_CHOICE_LEN

IF (ftype .EQ. T_LOGICAL) THEN

fluid(-objidx).f(elem_size).logical_text_code =
	1				get_logical_pair_index(p_EngLogPair1, p_EngLogPair2)

ELSE

fluid(-objidx).f(elem_size).logical_text_code =
	1				get_engineering_pair_index(p_EngLogPair1, p_EngLogPair2)

END IF

Both the get_logical_pair_index and get_engineering_pair_index routines are defined the same as below:

INTEGER*4 FUNCTION get_logical_pair_index (p_True, p_False)
        !DEC$ATTRIBUTES ALIAS : '_GET_LOGICAL_PAIR_INDEX@8' :: get_logical_pair_index
	IMPLICIT NONE
	CHARACTER	p_True*10
	CHARACTER	p_False*10
	INTEGER*4 FUNCTION get_engineering_pair_index(extu, intu)
        !DEC$ATTRIBUTES ALIAS : '_GET_ENGINEERING_PAIR_INDEX@8' :: get_engineering_pair_index
	IMPLICIT NONE
	CHARACTER	extu*MAX_UNIT_LEN
	CHARACTER	intu*MAX_UNIT_LEN

Both static libraries are compiled with /Gm switch as I use an earlier version of the NAG library that requires the CVF calling convention.

I always get unresolved external 'error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GET_LOGICAL_PAIR_INDEX@16' and 'error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _GET_ENGINEERING_PAIR_INDEX@16'.

I don't understand why the code is trying to link against the @16 version of the routine when the routine is only passing two values. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

CHARACTER arguments pass a hidden length argument as well. Note that Intel Fortran and CVF place these differently, and /Gm isn't going to handle this. /iface:cvf would.  This would also eliminate the need for the ATTRIBUTES directive.

My preference would be to not use a switch at all and instead declare interfaces for the NAG routines you're calling, including "!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES CVF :: routine-name" in each one.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I suspect that you did not have your static libraries (and the application that uses these libraries) working at some earlier time (?).

The first code fragment that you showed raised this flag: the implicit type of functions with names starting with 'g', such as get_logical_pair_index, is REAL. If you want it to be INTEGER*4, you need an explicit type declaration to make that happen.

0 Kudos
Mark_I_1
Beginner

Those pesky string lengths! Got the code compiling now after adding the string lengths.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos