Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Up and Running with intel Fortran

Elsayed_A_
Beginner

Hello,

I am new to  intel Fortran. I have installed intel parallel studio XE cluster edition for windows 2017 free edition for students with microsoft vs 2015. I tried to test the FGMRES example. However, it gives the following error message. 

/*

1>------ Build started: Project: Console1, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 17.0.0.109 [IA-32]...
1>Console1.f90
1>C:\Users\Elsayed\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Console1\Console1\Console1.f90(79): error #6409: This name has already been used as an external procedure name.   [DNRM2]
1>compilation aborted for C:\Users\Elsayed\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\Console1\Console1\Console1.f90 (code 1)
1>Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
1>$(FNL_DIR)
1>
1>Build log written to  "file://C:\Users\Elsayed\Documents\Visual%20Studio%202015\Projects\Console1\Console1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Console1 - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

*/

Basically, I want to use intel fortran for computational fluid dynamics probelms. Could you please, explaine in a simple steps how to up and run with intel fortran? Is there any additional installation I should do? 

Regards,

Elsayed

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

A couple of things here...

I see you have tried to add IMSL to your library paths. IMSL is an extra-cost option not included with your student-license edition.

However, functions such as DNORM2 are provided in Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL), which is included, and I am guessing that you are in fact trying to use MKL, Probably you have a USE line that brings in MKL definitions and also a declaration of DNORM2 such as "EXTERNAL" or "DOUBLE PRECISION" - this is what is triggering the error message, so if you have the USE for MKL, take out any explicit declarations of MKL routines.

If you need more help, ask in the MKL forum.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

A couple of things here...

I see you have tried to add IMSL to your library paths. IMSL is an extra-cost option not included with your student-license edition.

However, functions such as DNORM2 are provided in Intel Math Kernel Library (MKL), which is included, and I am guessing that you are in fact trying to use MKL, Probably you have a USE line that brings in MKL definitions and also a declaration of DNORM2 such as "EXTERNAL" or "DOUBLE PRECISION" - this is what is triggering the error message, so if you have the USE for MKL, take out any explicit declarations of MKL routines.

If you need more help, ask in the MKL forum.

0 Kudos
Elsayed_A_
Beginner

Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I took out the following two lines 

!        DOUBLE PRECISION DNRM2
!        EXTERNAL DNRM2

and I added this line 

INCLUDE "mkl.fi"

Now it is working fine. Thanks for clarifying the difference between MKL and iMSL.

Regards, 

0 Kudos