Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28442 Discussions

VTune Analyzer special offer for CVF users

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Intel Corporation is pleased to announce the availability of Version 7 of the Intel VTune Performance Analyzer*. Intel is extending to owners of Digital / Compaq* Visual Fortran 6.0 and higher a limited-time offer for a highly discounted price to take advantage of the latest version of the VTune Performance Analyzer. You will be able to purchase the commercial version of this product at the discounted price of $399 instead of $699 list price only through your local resellers and if you own a DVF / CVF 6.0 and higher product. For detailed information about this program, please contact one of the Intel Corporation resellers listed at

http://www.intel.com/software/products/reseller.htm

Order Information:

1. VTune Analyzer special, license only, for CVF 6.0 and higher users at
$399 list price VTA070WSGE00139
2. VTune Analyzer special, CD-ROM (box), CVF 6.0 and higher users at $399
list price VTA070WSGB00139

Major features of the VTune Performance Analyzer 7.0 include:

- Processor Support: The latest Intel processors, including the Intel Pentium. 4, Intel. Xeon, Intel. Itanium. and Itanium. 2 processors, Mobile
Intel. Pentium. III Processor - M, Intel Pentium. M Processor and the Intel PXA255 processor and Intel. PXA262 processor to deliver great performance for your applications.

- Visual Studio Integration: Version 7.0 is fully integrated into the VS.NET IDE for VS.NET developers, who can use the VTune analyzer from within the GUI of VS.NET. For Windows* developers who do not use VS.NET, they can continue to use the traditional Windows-based GUI of the VTune analyzer.

- Windows command line: You can now create an Activity and collect sampling data from the command line interface, independent of the VTune
analyzer GUI. With scripting commands, you can set up batch jobs for processing.

- Multi-thread support: Version 7.0 now includes comparison views for multiple threads in sampling. You can view correlated sampling data and Call Graph data for large numbers of threads simultaneously as well as view for thread related data derived from OS counter data.

- Remote data collection: Collect performance data from a remote machine by using a very lightweight and low overhead remote data collector. You can easily Configure, Start, and Stop a remote machine's profiling data collection
session from a host machine, then import the data collected on the remote machine into VTune analyzer on the host.

- Version 7.0 includes remote data collectors for Windows* 2000 64-bit, Linux* 32-bit and 64-bit and includes the addition of Call Graph support in
the remote Linux 32-bit collector.

* Support Services: The VTune Performance Analyzer includes one year of support services with your product purchase. You get technical customer support, upgrades, new releases and more.

For more product information about the VTune Performance Analyzer, and the full line of Intel Software Development Products, please see:

http://developer.intel.com/software/products

We invite questions about the VTune Performance Analyzer and Compaq Visual Fortran in our user forums at:

http://developer.intel.com/IDS/community

Sincerely,

Software Products Division
Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
15 Replies
durisinm
Novice
How long is the limited period for this discount offer?

Does VTune Analyzer work with applications produced by CVF and IF? What about the merged IVF due out in the fourth quarter? What about other languages?

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I'm not sure how long the offer lasts - I have asked others to comment.

VTune works with CVF, and works better (has more features) with Intel Fortran. It will work with the combined product and also supports other languages that use the same object/debug format that CVF/IF/MSVC uses.

You can download a 30-day trial of VTune and try it out - it's very nice.

Steve
0 Kudos
Gary_C_Intel1
Employee
The discount offer is available through the end of August.

In terms of programming language support for unmanaged code, the VTune Analyzer's only dependence on compilers (except for the Code Coach part of the Tuning Assistant) is symbol format. So as long as a compiler emits symbols in some type of industry standard format, things should be ok. The VTune Analyzer also supports .NET and Java* managed environments but the mechanism is based on APIs and less on symbol formats.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
>
> You can download a 30-day trial of VTune and try it
> out - it's very nice.
>

Steve,

I'd love to try VTune but I can't get registered. In the 3-step registration process, I get to do the survey and then, nothing. I think Intel registration is sesquiparnoid. I'd settle for plain clever. I've attempted to register with Intel many times. I've ditched IFC 7 because I can't get support, because I can't register. Ditto for doing the CVF and IFC surveys, can't register, can't survey. Indeed, it took a long time before I was able to resister for this forum. Is that registration not good enough for Intel?

I know this is not your responsibility but I'm sure others have had this frustrating runaround and any help you can provide on the matter would be appreciated by all the registration challenged masses.

If it's any help, my browser does java, takes cookies, prohibits AX and vb script, kills popups, adds, web cams, etc, all behind a firewall with all ports in stealth condition.

Thanks,
Gerry T.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Gerry,

Please send details of the problems you're having to quad.support@intel.com They're the folks who can help you get this straightened out.

But let me suggest one thing first - try disabling the popup preventer. (Or, for this purpose, use a different browser.) I've found that some of the Intel sites like to open new windows and some popup preventers get confused by the way they do it.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
Can someone give a brief description of how one uses VTune or point us toward some documentation?

What kind of advantages does VTune offer over, for example, the performance monitoring technique from p. 218 of the _Digital Visual Fortran Programmer's Guide_? (By the way, is there an updated version of these instructions for Windows XP?)

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
christian_staudinger
Gerry -- you can also ask one of the resellers for an eval CD-ROM. Assuming that you are in the US, the following resellers did just recently receive new evals:

Custom Solutions
888.414.5846, +1 843.871.9081,
http://www.cs-software.com/
sales@cs-software.com

Programmer's Paradise
800-441-1511 Ext 7340
http://www.pparadise.com/
Michael.Snyder@PROGRAMMERS.COM

Hope this helps.

Christian
Intel Corp.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
> Can someone give a brief description of how one uses
> VTune or point us toward some documentation?
>
> Mike

There's a useful Intel VTune Analyzer article at
http://www.polyhedron.co.uk. I'm not sure if it's for the current VTune but it whets my courosity as I found a very early version to be less than useful.

HTH,
Gerry T.
0 Kudos
gfthomas8
Novice
Steve:

Level 2 support is on the way, I'm told. My belief is that the problem lies with Internet Exploder whose's settings I can't mess with.

Anyways, will VTA070WSGB00139 work with IFC as does VTA070WSGB00120 with the advantage that the former also works in VS6 unlike the latter?

Christian:

The Toronto PP folks are shipping me an eval copy of VTA070WSGB00139 post haste.

Thank you,
Gerry T.
0 Kudos
christian_staudinger
The Polyhedron article is based on version 6.1 but I know that they are working on an update. You can find additional reviews at http://www.intel.com/software/products/global/prodreview.htm#vtune and a 7-days eval at http://www.intel.com/software/products/vtune/vpa/eval.htm.
Christian
Intel Corp.
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
I've read the articles and reviews mentioned. Does VTune offer anything in the way of checking programs for programming mistakes (for example, inconsistent declaration of COMMON blocks in different places), or is it strictly a tool for analyzing run-time performance?

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It's a performance analysis tool only.

CVF includes on the CD under a "USUPPORT" folder a tool for analyzing COMMON block mismatches - CBANLC. See http://compaq.com/fortran/dvf-utilities.html for details.

Steve
0 Kudos
durisinm
Novice
VTune looks like a good tool for improving performance, and I may buy it, especially at the discounted price that Intel has offered. If it also included analysis capabilities to find errors that the compiler can't flag, then I think it would be more valuable. The Polyhedron link described some programs (Forcheck and plusFORT) that perform that kind of analysis.

Just my opinion.

Mike
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Well, those are very different products. VTune is a performance tuning tool, not a correctness tool, and doesn't have much language-specific knowledge. That said, the compiler keeps getting smarter about what it can check.

Steve
0 Kudos