Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Vista 64 - VS options?

davidspurr
Beginner
Have a new PC (QX9650 / 4GB / Vista 64) & am trying to decide between options for intalling IVF. I still need to generate 32 bit (console) executables for other users, but would like to take advantage of the hardware when I run the exe's locally. Presumably 64 bit exe's will have some advantages, but I can test to see what works best (CPU intensive code).

Main concern at this point is how best to install IVF. Compile time is not such an issue (always nice to reduce of course). Trying to decide whether to install under VS2005 PPE, or if it makes sense to pay the extra and buy VS2005 (2008?)

1. Does IVF10.1 work under VS2008 / Vista x64?
Since 2008 has already been released, I'm reluctant to pay for a previous version, then pay to upgrade to 2008 in the "near" future.

2. I assume IVF will not run under an Express version of VS2008?

3. If IVF10.1 does not work under VS2008, is there likely to be an update in the near future that will?

4. If install IVF under VS2005 PPE at this point, are there likely to be complications if I later decide to get VS2005 or 2008?

5. I assume IVF does work under VS2005 / Vista x64 ?

### Separate issue. I will defer attempts at multi-threading at this point - running multiple (say 3) instances concurrently is probably more efficient, anyway. But for future reference:

6. Is it possible to make use of Nvidia CUDA facilities (on graphics card) with IVF console apps?

Thanks
David
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
1. No support for VS2008 right now.

2. Ditto

3. Yes, probably about the time Microsoft publicly releases VS2008 (February/March)

4. No - you will want to uninstall VSPPE before installing VS2005 or VS2008.

5. Yes, it does, though there is an issue with debugging that can be easily fixed. Please carefully read the compiler Installation Guide as it has specific tips regarding use on Vista.

6. No idea. If you can use this from C, you can use it from Fortran, though you may have extra work to do.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Regardless of Windows version, ifort works with VS2008 only from the command line. As you are paying for support by the year, not by ifort version, you will be entitled to download the version which works with the paid VS2008 GUI, should it become available within that time.
I didn't succeed in running openmp with VS2008 Express; possibly I made an error. I didn't try Express on 64 bit; at the very least, it will be more complicated to install with 64 bit support.
Openmp works well using VC9 with ifort libcompat option. With ifort PPE, you don't have C compilation options. I don't see that Vista would complicate the process of removing ifort and re-installing, should you choose to install VS to get C/C++.
My colleagues use Vista 64 with VS2005 and ifort 64-bit with no problems, other than the standard limitations of VS2005 on Vista. They don't attempt to run without full administrator privilege (behind a firewall).
You may need a C++ wrapper for use of Nvidia CUDA. I haven't seen information on that detail.
According to my colleagues, running ifort 32-bit .exe under 64-bit OS recovers about as much virtual space as was available under Windows 2000, so it is somewhat more satisfactory than XP SP2. Still, if you have an application big enough to make 4 threads worth while, you can easily run out of address space in 32-bit mode. 64-bit ifort unrolls more aggressively, presumably taking advantage of the additional address space and registers.
0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
Many thanks, Steve

David

0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
And many thanks, Tim

Will proceed with VSPPE at this point. It will be interesting to see what if any impact 64-bit makes to execution times. Guess I will also need to look at optimisations for x64 - I64 combination.

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The biggest difference you might see is if you had not used one of the /Qx options on IA-32 and now you get SSE vectorization on x64. There are more registers in the 64-bit side, but I would not look for that alone to provide measurable performance gains.

I do recommend the use of the "latest" /Qx option that is appropriate for your CPU to get the best benefit of the SSE instruction set.
0 Kudos