Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

WRF 3.7 / catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised**

Srikanth_Yalavarthi

Hi,

The following error has been reported by the compiler while compiling the file module_bl_temf.F (WRFV3/phys/module_bl_temf.F) from WRF V3.7 (http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/src/WRFV3.7.TAR.gz) model for Intel MIC (configure option 17).

"catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised**"

[root@node mic]# ifort -V
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.2.144 Build 20140120

Compilation Steps:

/lib/cpp -P -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/inc -DEM_CORE=1 -DNMM_CORE=0 -DNMM_MAX_DIM=2600 -DCOAMPS_CORE=0 -DDA_CORE=0 -DEXP_CORE=0 -DIWORDSIZE=4 -DDWORDSIZE=8 -DRWORDSIZE=4 -DLWORDSIZE=4 -DNONSTANDARD_SYSTEM_FUNC -DCHUNK=16 -DXEON_OPTIMIZED_WSM5 -DXEON_SIMD -DOPTIMIZE_CFL_TEST -DFSEEKO64_OK -DINTEL_YSU_KLUDGE -DWRF_USE_CLM  -DDM_PARALLEL -DNETCDF -DGRIB2 -DUSE_ALLOCATABLES -DGRIB1 -DINTIO -DLIMIT_ARGS -DCONFIG_BUF_LEN=65536 -DMAX_DOMAINS_F=21 -DMAX_HISTORY=25 -DNMM_NEST=0  -I. -traditional  -D_OPENMP module_bl_temf.F  > module_bl_temf.bb

/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/tools/standard.exe module_bl_temf.bb | /lib/cpp -P -traditional > module_bl_temf.f90

rm -f module_bl_temf.b module_bl_temf.bb

mpiifort -mmic -o module_bl_temf.o -c -O3 -fimf-precision=low -fimf-domain-exclusion=15 -opt-assume-safe-padding -opt-streaming-stores always -opt-streaming-cache-evict=0 -mP2OPT_hlo_pref_use_outer_strategy=F -w -openmp -auto -ftz -fno-alias -fp-model fast=1 -no-prec-div -no-prec-sqrt -FR -convert big_endian -auto -align array64byte   -openmp -fpp -auto -I../dyn_em -I../dyn_nmm   -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/external/esmf_time_f90  -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/main -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/external/io_netcdf -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/external/io_int -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/frame -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/share -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/phys -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/chem -I/root/WRF/WRFV370/WRFV3/mic/inc -I/opt/intelsoft/mic/netcdf-3.6.3/include  -real-size `expr 8 \* 4` -i4  module_bl_temf.f90

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for module_bl_temf.f90 (code 1)

Regards

Srikanth

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please try a newer compiler. 15.0.3 is current.

0 Kudos
Per_A_
Beginner

It fails on the -O3 optimization, run the compile using -O3 and then change to -O2 in configure.wrf and compile the rest with that. Or update your compiler.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

It would help quite a bit if one of you WRF users posted the machine-generated source file (module_bl_temf.f90, the attempted compilation of which caused the ICE), plus any required INCLUDEd files. Without that being available, the task of assembling a matching environment (OS, tools, system header files, compiler, libraries, MPI setup) is so big and the number of variations so numerous that mere reproducing of the ICE becomes a big project, so you will have to rely entirely upon other WRF users.

0 Kudos
Srikanth_Yalavarthi

Hi,

I have attached the machine generated source file. Please have a look at it.

Srikanth

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Well, IFort 15.0.4-32-bit compiled the file module_bl_temf.f90 with no errors on Windows with the default option (/fast /MD) and also with /O3.

The 64-bit compiler did fine with /O2, but was taking an inordinately long time with /O3, so I aborted the run. It may be worth trying to compile the file on Linux using the current version of IFort.

0 Kudos