Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
27547 Discussions

What are the equivalent compilation options for gfort given the ifort compilation?

NC1
Beginner

I am trying to compile a code using gfortran instead of ifortran. The gfortran code runs much much slower than the ifortran code. It does not even use all threads from my computer. I have 40 cores and 80 threads. ifort uses all of them.I think it has to do with the ifort flag /Qm64 but can't be sure (using the /Qm32 flag on ifort is slower and does not use all the threads on openmp - not sure why).

This is the way that visual studio seems to be compiling my code:

Compiling with Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic 2021.4.0 [Intel(R) 64]...
ifort /nologo /O2 /Qopenmp /module:"x64\Release\\" /object:"x64\Release\\" /Fd"x64\Release\vc160.pdb" /libs:dll /threads /c /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30133\bin\HostX64\x64" /Qm64 "D:\test\main1.f90"
Linking...
Link /OUT:"x64\Release\DebtDuration.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"x64\Release\DebtDuration.exe.intermediate.manifest" /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /STACK:999999999 /IMPLIB:"D:\test\x64\Release\DebtDuration.lib" -qm64 "x64\Release\splint.obj" "x64\Release\linspace.obj" "x64\Release\random_normal.obj" "x64\Release\spline.obj" "x64\Release\rouwenhorst.obj" "x64\Release\bspline_sub_module.obj" "x64\Release\main1.obj"
Embedding manifest...

Here's how I was trying to compile in gfortran:

gfortran -c -m64 -O2 bspline_sub_module.f90 
gfortran -w -ffree-form -ffree-line-length-0 -m64 -O2 -fopenmp main1.f90 random_normal.f90 linspace.f90 bspline_sub_module.o rouwenhorst.f90 spline.f90 splint.f90

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@NC1 ,

Given the nature of your question, you may want to consider inquiring at another forum such as Fortran Discourse where a significant fraction of the readers do use gfortran and can offer their input and guidance:

https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

You may need to add -qopenmp to your gfortran compilation of bspline_sub_module (if it contains !$omp directives).

Jim Dempsey

NC1
Beginner

@FortranFran, I will try to ask there as well, thank you. @ jimdempseyatthecove, there are no !$opm directives on that module.