Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

When is a password strong enough?

niels_veldhuijzen
Dear Forum,
I shouldn't pose my question here, but support for "Premier Support" is not supportive. I need a "strong" password for registering, but all my suggestions are turned down. For example: what's wrong with "x?z!a#i%k&m*"? Does anyone can give me a hint as to how to register with Premier Support?
Yours sincerely,
Niels H. Veldhuijzen
Arnhem, The Netherlands
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Hmm - I thought that problem had been dealt with. Maybe try adding a digit? This is silly, I know. I will forward your issue to the appropriate people.
0 Kudos
Jugoslav_Dujic
Valued Contributor II
There's a "Password guidelines" page linked somewhere from the logon page. If I recall correctly, a good password has to be at least 8 characters, have at least one digit and one special character, but it must not be the first character. Of course, it also expires for a ridiculously short time.

It looks as if the they have an ex-CIA agent employed at Premier :-(. Why on Earth is there such a paranoia about it? Even if the password leaks, what serious damage can be done on a tiny piece of consumer-vendor correspondence?
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The problem is that the same rules apply to Premier Support as apply to Intel employees' passwords. Some of us have tried (for years, now), to get them to relax the rules for Premier Support, and I am told that this is in the works, but I have no idea for when.

I would encourage anyone annoyed by this to file a complaint with Intel Premier Support (select "My Account Management" as the product.)
0 Kudos
niels_veldhuijzen

Dear Steve & Jugoslav,

Thanks!

1. In the "Passwords Guidelines", nowhere is mentioned that you MUST use at least one digit in the password.
  2. My problem has shifted from Intel to my own company. I was told that my compiler was registered with my own name. In fact, it wasn't: the computer boys used their own name. Now I have to try and get the password they used in order to get Premier Support.
  3. Contrary than I mentioned in my first message, the Intel people have shown to be very supportive. They set me on the right trail. Thanks!

Best regards to all,

Niels [H. Veldhuijzen]

0 Kudos
niels_veldhuijzen
Dear all,
Now I gathered all the information I need to have access to Premier Support: login name and password. Even now, access to Premier Support is denied to me. Especially, the password is not recognized. Worse: the "challenging question" page doesn't work at all; whatever button I hit, there is no response (and even data traffic!). So it seems I will for ever be denied Premier Support. Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here? (And, by the way, any hints about how to get compiler updates? I am really left in the blue about this.)
Best regards,
Niels H. Veldhuijzen
Arnhem, The Netherlands
0 Kudos
niels_veldhuijzen
Dear all,
I'm very very sorry to have bothered you again. It's just that I am too impatient. Seconds after I wrote my last message to this forum, Intel send me a message containing a new password. So now I can use Premier Support (an I did). Thanks for your patience. Thank to Intel for not letting me down.
Best regards,
Niels H. veldhuijzen
0 Kudos