Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

XE 2020 problem using w-ode-a

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

XE 2013 would build my project, but XE 2020 is generating the following error while linking:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _printf		libiode_ia32.lib(dodesol_mk52lfn.obj)		

The project uses the Intel® Ordinary Differential Equation Solver Library embodied in libiode_ia32.lib.  This related thread suggests adding #include <stdio.h> everywhere printf is called, but I obviously can't do that.  How can this be fixed?

What is the right way to port a project from XE 2013 to XE 2020?  I did it by merely copying the project folder from an old computer with visual studio 2010 & XE 2013 to a new one with visual studio 2019 and XE 2020, and then opened the .sln file in visual studio, and I'm playing wack-a-mole with multiple problems.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

If _printf is being called, then this will require the appropriate C Runtime Library to be linked into your application. The reason that this function may be referenced is that you library libiode_ia32 likely was a C/C++ source that has a printf(....) somewhere.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler/topic/806533

The above illustrates some ways, however, you may get by with simply adding the appropriate library from MS VC:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/crt-library-features?view=vs-2019

Jim Dempsey

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.

With XE 2013 I didn't need to link in any C libraries.  Why would I need to do that with XE 2020?

What is the right way to port a project from XE 2013 to XE 2020?

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

I solved this problem by adding legacy_stdio_definitions.lib to the list of Properties/Linker/Input/Additional Dependencies.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

It's a Visual Studio difference, not a Fortran difference. 

mecej4
Black Belt

Brian Murphy:

I wrote an answer to your  problems with Intel ODE Solver, but by mistake I answered in another of your threads:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler/topic/849481#comment-1953796

Perhaps a moderator can move that response to this thread and delete this mea-culpa note

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

I used this solution to get the Intel ODE Solver working -- I was doing a quick comparison to the NR in Fortran ODE. 

Is there anyway to update the libary with the problem so we do not have to use the legacy code?

I do not have a VS 2010 

Thanks

John

mecej4
Black Belt

The Intel ODE Solver is not a supported product. 

Brian stated the solution in #4: add legacy_stdio_definitions.lib to the list of libraries for the linker to scan. You will not need VS10 if you follow that prescription.