Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error

DWilliams
Beginner

Dear all, I got this error while trying to compile a (syntactically incorrect) program,

prog.f90: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for prog.f90 (code 1)

This situation occurs if I declare an array of a derived type (see code attached), and then

try (incorrectly) to call one of its procedure bound subroutines.

The compiler crashes with the above mentioned error.

I'm sending two files necessary to reproduce this problem (prog.f90 and my_type.f90). Compilation command was: ifort -c my_type.f90 prog.f90. My system is Linux, ifort is

ifort (IFORT) 2021.4.0 20210910.

====== Files for reproducing the problem ===========

prog.f90

program myProg
use my_type

type(my_type_t) :: m(:)     ! Array of my_type

call m%fun()    ! BUG, it is incorrect, I know. The point is that the compiler crashes here.
end program myProg

my_type.f90

module my_type

type :: my_type_t
contains
procedure, public :: fun => my_type_fun
end type my_type_t

contains

subroutine my_type_fun(this)
class(my_type_t), intent(inout) :: this

end subroutine my_type_fun
end module my_type

========

Best regards

Williams

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Barbara_P_Intel

I was able to reproduce your internal compiler error (ICE) with version 2021.4.0 and an internal version of the next compiler. I filed a bug for you, CMPLRIL0-34374. I'll let you know when I know more about its fix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

I was able to reproduce your internal compiler error (ICE) with version 2021.4.0 and an internal version of the next compiler. I filed a bug for you, CMPLRIL0-34374. I'll let you know when I know more about its fix.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Good news! There is no ICE when I compiled with the current release of ifort 2021.6.0 that is part of oneAPI 2022.2. Give it a try!

0 Kudos