Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28334 Discussions

compilervars.sh error for spaces within $PATH in windows subsystem for linux 2

ml_1
Beginner

When I run 

source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64

there are bash errors pop up due to the spaces in $PATH.

For example, I have path 

/mnt/c/Program Files (x86)/NVIDIA Corporation/PhysX/Common

in the $PATH and it will not be preserved correctly when passed through the remove_duplicate_paths() function in comilervars.sh.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ron_Green

Windows subsystem for linux is not a supported OS/environment.  You will have to fix this issue on your own.

0 Kudos
ml_1
Beginner

Got it. Thank you for clarifying!

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

I apologize, my response is a bit off tone.  What I meant to say is WSL is not an officially tested nor supported environment.  There are, however, a few users on this Forum using WSL.  Perhaps one of them has encountered this and will have a solution or workaround.

One thought I had - since this is Linux perhaps use the 'env2' solution HERE .  Since the compilervars script invokes so many other sub-scripts, it's a rat's nest to unwind to find all the right env vars and their settings.  env2 has to -to and -from, nothing saying you can't -from bash -to bash just to unravel all the spaghetti in the compilervars nest of sourcing.  Then once you have that -from script THEN perhaps backslash-escape the spaces "\ " for each place where you see Windows paths.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt

WSL purports to be Ubuntu. I'm wondering if the Intel scripts would work on Linux if path contained spaces, which is not typical on Linux.

0 Kudos
ml_1
Beginner

Hi Steve, I wonder the same. From what I can tell, it comes from the function

remove_duplicate_paths() {
  local arg=$1

if [ "${INTEL_HOST_PLATFORM}" = "Darwin" ]; then
    local arr=(`echo ${!arg} | sed 's/:/\'$'\n/g'`)
  else
    local arr=(`echo ${!arg} | sed 's/:/\n/g'`)
  fi
  local fixarr=()
  local found=
  local i=0
  for var in ${arr[*]}; do
    found=0
    for dup in ${fixarr[*]}; do
      if [ "${dup}" = "${var}" ]; then
        found=1
        break
      fi
    done
    if [ "${found}" = "0" ]; then
      if [ "${#fixarr[*]}" = "0" ]; then
        fixarr=("${var}")
      else
        fixarr=("${fixarr[*]} ${var}")
      fi
    fi
  done
  echo $fixarg
  local fixarg=`echo ${fixarr[*]} | sed 's/ /:/g'`
  eval export \$arg="${fixarg}"
}

which uses spaces as a natural delimiter to make the different paths in $PATH as different strings to look for duplicates and substitute at the end with ":". It works cleverly for most traditional linux environments and I never had a problem with it until I start to use WSL2 on a new laptop yesterday. But from the look of it, it will fail if there is a space in any path in a regular linux environment as well. I wonder if it's better to write the remove duplicate function in perl or even awk to be bullet proof.

0 Kudos
ml_1
Beginner

Hi Ronald, No need to apologize and I appreciate your new input here. I think it's a valid way to manually fix the issue.  - Ming

0 Kudos