Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

.db3 file causes Visual Studio crash

groupw_bench
Beginner

I'm using Parallel Studio XE 2015 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows (w_fcompx3_2015.1.148) running with Visual Studio 2013 on a 64 bit Windows 7 system. I recently installed a trial copy of VTune but don't know if that's involved in the problem.

I recently found that when I tried to rebuild my project, after one or two files showed that they compiled, I got the message that "Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 has stopped working" and the compiler shut down. I was able to individually compile each file in my project, but not do the rebuild. I tried deleting the output folder but that didn't help. I also uninstalled and reinstalled both the Parallel Studio and MS Visual Studio -- no help. Finally, I began going through daily backups to find when the problem began, then compared the project directories of the last working version and the first crashing one. The problem wasn't the source code (identical in the two versions) or the .vfproj file. It turned out to be due to a file <project name>.db3 present in the crashing versions but not the working ones. I deleted it, and the Visual Studio crash went away.

Does anybody know where this came from? Is it likely to be re-created?

Roy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Interesting. My guess is that this file is the database used by the "advanced text editor" feature of Visual Fortran where it tracks identifiers, though I've never seen this show up as a visible file. Can you recover the file and attach a zip of it here so I can send it on to the developers?

0 Kudos
groupw_bench
Beginner

Sure.

It seems to contain a lot of stuff about "loop" and various project source files. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to parallelize a loop with OpenMP and not long ago requested detailed optimizer diagnostics. One of those activities might have led to creation of the file. I'm sure I've done some unconventional things in my ignorance, but none should cause this kind of crash.

Roy

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks. This now looks like something related to the optimization diagnostics improvements we made in 15.0 where you can view the diagnostics in with the source files. I'll pass this on to the developers. Issue ID is DPD200363876.

0 Kudos