Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26754 Discussions

forrtl: severe (39): error during read

CAO_B_
Beginner

Hi, 

The aim of my project is to call the subroutines (or functions) of Fortran from Java.

The solutions: I have installed Inter(R) Visual Fortran on Microsoft Visual Studio 2013, and build new project of Dynamic-link Library, and then added the subroutines  written in fortran90. The compiling is successful. After that, copy the *.dll into  the project directory of Java. Finally, use JNA(Java Native Access )to call Fortran from Java.

Some weird behaviours: The calling can't run successful if the subroutines contains input stream of text. The error message is as follows:

---------Visual Fortran run-time error----------------------------------

forrtl:severe(39):error during read, unit -4, file CONIN$

Image                     PC                 Routine        Line    Source

libifcoremd.dll   6D32FA8A  Unknown   Unknown  Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that the reason is some files can't be opened in Fortran subroutines because of the wrong directory.

How can I set the constant work directory in Fortran so that the read-write operation worked in this  directory?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

No, it is not a file on disk. The name "CONIN$" as well as the negative LU-number reveals the true cause: your program is trying to read from standard input - the console or the keyboard, whatever you prefer.

Look for statements like: read(*,*) ...

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

The launching Java application is likely a GUI application... without a console window.

In addition to a READ(*,*), or READ(*,'some format statement here')
you may have a STOP "Some Error Message",
which will then enter a press any key to continue (to abort program).

If you are building a Fortran library that is to be used from a GUI application, then replace all READ(*,... and STOP ... with an appropriate call to a GUI dialog (that you supply).

Jim Dempsey