Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ifort 9.0 on i86 ubuntu 5.10 (i86)

lhaz
Beginner
Hi

I've installed the Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0 on Ubuntu 5.10 (also recently installed). Installation was ok, and I was able to compile some simple codes but I can't execute them, the message from linux is:

a.out: a.out: cannot execute binary file

I'm not alinux expertso any help would be appreciated...

thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Unless you want to add current directory to PATH (generally considered to increase security risk), you must specify at least a relative path (./a.out). This is a standard linux FAQ topic.
0 Kudos
mambru37
Beginner
I don't think that's the problem, at least for me, omitting the ./ generates a "command not found" instead of a "cannot execute binary file".

Are you sure you installed everything right, with all the definitions (including, specially LD_LIBRARY_PATH). I say this because of Ubuntu is a Debian derivative and most likely you had to do the "rpm2cpio followed by a replace" trick to get everything working.

I posted in this forum how to do it some time ago...

Message Edited by mambru37 on 12-07-2005 05:47 AM

0 Kudos
lhaz
Beginner
Thanks to both for the reply...

I included these lines at the .bashrc (I copied it before to .bash_profile without positive results),

intel=/opt/intel/fc/9.0
export intel
PATH=$intel/bin:$PATH
export PATH

and the new message when trying to execute the a.out was:

./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libimf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

When installing ifort on Fedora I used to copy ifortvar.sh and ifortvars.csh to /etc/profile.d to solve this problem but in Ubuntu (Debian) I don't have a directory called profile.d

I searched the board looking for your previous post, but it seems it has been removed...
0 Kudos
mambru37
Beginner
There's no need to make the definitions and exports by hand, just source the appropiate file.

In the case of bash/sh, include in your .bashrc

source /opt/intel/fc/9.0/bin/ifortvars.sh

There's another file for csh-like shells.

Message Edited by mambru37 on 12-07-2005 09:40 AM

0 Kudos
lhaz
Beginner
thanks... it is now working ok!
0 Kudos