Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

ifort not recognized as a command

Brian_A_
Novice

I installed IFC 2019 U1 and I have to VS2017 installed.  I cannot get the ifort command to work.

Copyright (C) 1985-2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) Compiler 19.0 Update 1 (package 144)

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.9.3
** Copyright (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation
[vcvarsall.bat] Environment initialized for: 'x86'

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools>ifort
'ifort' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools>

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It looks like you missed the advice in the web pages which are offered to you when finishing the installation. The supported way to use ifort from command line is to open a window from the start shortcut, which varies according to Windows version, and change to your own working directory where you have full permissions.  If you can't use the start shortcut, you will need to look at the script in the start shortcut for the required .bat executions to set the environment. Among the reasons for this is to support choosing among multiple VS or ifort installed versions.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Judging from the output, the advice was followed. The only thing I can see that might be a problem is that the default directory is the install folder under Program Files, and you can't do anything useful there. Try doing a "cd" to a writeable folder elsewhere.

Another possible problem is that PATH is too long. Please show the output of "set path".

0 Kudos