Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

minloc error message

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

Is the compile error correct? It was not what I expected.

program fred
implicit none
integer :: n
integer :: ip 
real    :: harry(5)

harry = [ 1.0, 2.0, 0.5, 4.0, 5.0 ]
N = 3

ip = minloc( harry(1:n) )           ! error #6366: The shapes of the array expressions do not conform.   [IP]
ip = minloc( harry(1:n), dim = 1 )  ! ok

end

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Yes, it is correct. If you omit DIM=, the result of MINLOC is an array which does not conform to a scalar.

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor I

OK thanks I just read the notes on minloc again and I has missed that point first time. Is just seems strange that for a 1d array if I omit dim=1 I get an array result but with dim=1 I get a scalar! Still it is what it is....maybe it makes more sense when you start looking at more complex usage. 

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

If the argument to DIM was a 2-dimension array, you'd get an array of two values for both indices, etc. When you give DIM, you get only one value, a scalar, for the MINLOC along that dimension. Don't feel bad, this trips up a lot of programmers as most don't think about the less usual cases.