Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

need help calling C from fortran

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

I have a fortran console application, and I'm having trouble calling a C function.  I am using visual studio 2010.  I made a simple fortran console program that does nothing more than call my C function, and that works fine.  But the console application that I really want to get working will not work.  I have exhaustively compared visual studio project settings, and I can't figure out why one runs and one doesn't.

Are there any likely culprits that would keep one from working?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II
Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply, FortranFan. 

I believe I found the problem.  It was Configuration Properties/Linker/System/Stack Reserve Size was set too big.  Making it smaller got the program working like it should.  The size was set to 500,000,000 which I guess means 500 million bytes.  I don't know why it was set to this.  I don't even know what this setting is for.  I reduced it to 50,000,000 and the C function part works like it should.  Yippee!

The program is a finite element analysis code.  It uses ALLOCATE statements to create the matrices needed for the current model.

NotThatItMatters
Beginner

I had code with a large stack reserve size.  It turned out this was due to some use of Fortran functions MERGE and the like without explicit arrays.  For example, a call to MERGE of this type

RESULT = MERGE(TSource, FSource, RESULT > 0.0)

will result in the amount of stack space required to hold RESULT to be forced on the routine.  I continue using the MERGE function, only with each argument allocated and explicitly declared.

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

Hmmm.  The code I'm working with doesn't seem to use MERGE anywhere.  When I get done with what I'm currently doing, I may try further reducing the stack reserve size to see what that does.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Stack Reserve Size sets the size of the stack. The maximum stack Windows supports is 1GB, even on 64-bit, but whatever you set for stack takes away from space available for static code and data. (And, on 32-bit, from all available memory.)  If your programI generally recommend setting the Optimization > Heap Arrays option to 0 - this uses the heap for temporaries rather than the stack.

Brian_Murphy
New Contributor II

Thanks, Steve.  Visual Studio 2010 is presenting me 4 options to set; /HEAP:reserve,  /HEAP:reserve,commit,  /STACK:reserve and /STACK:reserve,commit  

/STACK:reserve is the one set to a large value.  The other three are zero.  I anticipate that when I try all four as zero, the code will still run fine.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

Leave the other values alone. If one is adjusting Stack Reserve, do it gradually. OpenMP applications typically need a larger than default stack (default is 1MB!)