Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26758 Discussions

on a coarray example, mpiexec seems to freeze when run with -localonly

jcarbaut
Beginner

Hello,

I am really new to coarray. I am trying a trying a simple example:

program ex
    print *, this_image(), num_images()
end program

I compile with ifort /Qcoarray ex.f90. Then, when I simply run ex.exe in the console, nothing happens, the programs just hangs. If, however, I run mpiexec -n 1 ex, then it runs, and it prints 4 lines.

If I set FOR_COARRAY_DEBUG_STARTUP=1, then, when I run ex.exe directly in the console, it prints Generated MPI command line is 'mpiexec.exe -localonly -n 4 ex ' before hanging.

So, I try to run mpiexec.exe -localonly -n 4 ex directly in the command line, and it hangs too. Without -localonly, it runs, and with -n 4, I get four times the line Generated MPI command line is 'mpiexec.exe -localonly -n 4 ex ', and 16 lines output from the program.

I wonder what I am doing wrong. If I interpret correctly, coarray is using MPI, but I should not type mpiexec to run the program, it will be called automatically. However, it seems mpiexec doesn't like the -localonly option.

In case it's important, I use IVF 2017.1 on Windows 7, both 64 bits.

Jean-Claude Arbaut

0 Kudos
1 Solution
IanH
Black Belt

This might be the same problem as reported here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IanH
Black Belt

This might be the same problem as reported here.

View solution in original post

jcarbaut
Beginner

You are right, the workaround provided by Steve Lionel solves the problem. Since I am really beginning with coarray, I thought I had something wrong somewhere.

Thank you!

Jean-Claude Arbaut