Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

pointer boundaries

Dino_R_
Beginner

PROGRAM INDICES
   INTEGER, POINTER, DIMENSION(:) :: a, b

ALLOCATE(a(0:1))
   a(0) = 1
   a(1) = 2

b => a

WRITE(*,*) LBOUND(b,1)   !__    = 0
   WRITE(*,*) UBOUND(b,1)   !__   = 1
   WRITE(*,*)

b => a(:)
   WRITE(*,*) LBOUND(b,1)    !__  = 1
   WRITE(*,*) UBOUND(b,1)    !__  = 2
END PROGRAM INDICES

Apparently, the boundaries of indices are only kept if I do not specify (:). Though, this makes it impossible for me to work with parts of a large array (e.g. x => y(:,:,:, j)) since all the indices get shifted to start from 1.  Is there any way to have a pointer to a subfield without shifting the boundaries of indices? Or do i have to allocate another array for that?

Thanks

Dino

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hirchert__Kurt_W
New Contributor II

If you want b to point to a(ilower:iupper) such that the bounds of b also run from ilower to iupper, the statement you want is

b(ilower:)=>a(ilower:iupper)

This form of pointer was not a part of Fortran 90 or Fortran 95; it was introduced in Fortran 2003.  I assume that by now it is implemented in ifort.  If you have to be compatible with a Fortran compiler that doesn't implement this form of pointer assignment, there is an ugly workaround:

call my_section_assigner(b,a(jlower:jupper),jlower)
subroutine my_section_assigner(lhs,rhs,lower)
integer :: lower
integer,pointer :: lhs(:)
integer,target :: rhs(lower:)
lhs=>rhs
end subroutine

The subroutine dummy argument rhs is associated with (i.e., points to) the section of interest, and the subroutine interface gives it our chosen lower bound.  Because the pointer assignment is now to a simple name rather than an expression, the lower bound of that name becomes the lower bound of the pointer.

-Kurt

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Dino,

Here is an additional example:

[fortran]
recursive subroutine CopyToYMM_1D(f, t, s)
    use MOD_ALL
    real, pointer :: f(:)
    type(TypeYMM), pointer :: t(:)
    integer :: s
    integer :: i
    real, pointer :: slice(:)
    do i=LBOUND(f, DIM=1),UBOUND(f, DIM=1)
        t(i).v(s) = f(i)
    end do
    slice(LBOUND(f, DIM=1):UBOUND(f, DIM=1)) =>  t(LBOUND(f, DIM=1))%v(s::4)
    f => slice
end subroutine CopyToYMM_1D
[/fortran]

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Dino_R_
Beginner

Ah, thanks a lot. This is kind of obvious, but I'm still surprised that the default behavior is to start all indices from 1.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

It's because you can point to an array section, including a discontiguous section. What other choice could be made there? The same rule applies to passing an array to a deferred-shape array dummy argument.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

And Steve could have added that arrays can be declared:

real :: foo(-123:456)

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

Dino R. wrote:

Ah, thanks a lot. This is kind of obvious, but I'm still surprised that the default behavior is to start all indices from 1.

To do otherwise puts a big burden on the compiler that is better suited in the hands of the programmer.  Its also the reason I deal with a lot of code that resorts to [fortran]function func(u,v,w,ib,ie,jb,je,kb,ke)

integer :: ib,ie,jb,je,kb,ke

real, dimension(ib:ie) :: u

real, dimension(jb,je) :: v

real, dimension(kb:ke) :: w

[/fortran]

0 Kudos
Dino_R_
Beginner

Since Fortran pointers/allocatables contain information about the upper and lower limits of indices, I mainly use them to obtain summation indices. Thus if I pass a pointer, it may look like this:

SUBROUTINE (a)

INTEGER, POINTER, DIMENSION(:) :: a

INTEGER :: i

DO i = LBOUND(a,1), UBOUND(a,1)

a(i) = ...

END DO

END SUBROUTINE

On the CONTIGUOUS-attribute: I didn't specify it anywhere, but all my arrays are actually contiguous. Does it make sense to explicitly specify it everywhere? Or will the Compiler know that a pointer array, pointing at an allocated array is contiguous if i specify a contiguous range of indices?

0 Kudos