Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

real4 to real8 conversion converation

jaeger0
Beginner
I would like to conver a real4 variable to a real8 variable

real(4) val4
real(8) val8
.. some conde val4 = 3.0000000E-03

val8=dble(val4) ! val8 = 3.000000026077032E-003

So i got problems since the numbers behind the 8th sign are not zero. How can I do that. I want
the result of val8 = 3.000000000000000E-003
0 Kudos
7 Replies
mfangmeyer
Beginner
I think this "problem" can't be solved. Programmer can't affect that because this behaviour is based on an internal management.
0 Kudos
jaeger0
Beginner
I have a solution, but this in not really elegant, and pretty slow.

write(txt,*) val4
read(txt,*, iostat=retint) val8

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
You are aware that there is no IEEE double precision floating-point number which is exactly equal to 3.0E-3, aren't you? Neither is there any such IEEE single precision floating-point number. When the value of val4 is converted from REAL(4) to REAL(8), it is the binary approximation to 3.0E-3 which is converted (by appending zeros), not the decimal value.

If haven't already, you should study David Goldberg's classic paper "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic" to understand why floating-point number aren't the same as real numbers. Google will find a copy for you (since it no long seems to be at the canonical place at dlc.sun.com).
0 Kudos
jaeger0
Beginner
now I understand, but will val4 = 3.0000000E-03
always transfered to val8 = 3.000000026077032E-003, since I'm looking to identify the source of some numeric problems I have.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Code with loading your REAL(8)'s with real(8) literals, then convert to real(4) when necessary)

val8 = 3.00D-03 ! *** note "D-03"
val4 = REAL(val8)
! note, these two values will not be equal
! but val8 will be a closer approximation for 0.003

Jim
0 Kudos
Jeffrey_A_Intel
Employee
The answer to your question is "Yes."

The statement

[fortran]val4 = 3.0E-3 !  val4 is REAL(4); the number of 0s to the right of the decimal point doesn't matter[/fortran]
assigns the best REAL(4) (i.e., IEEE single-precision) representation of 3.0E-3 to val4. The value ofval4 IS NOT EXACTLY 3.0E-3 but no other representation is closer to 3.0E-3.

The statement

[fortran]val8 = val4  !  val8 is REAL(8)[/fortran]
takes that IEEE single-precisionrepresentation of3.0E-3 and converts it into an IEEE double-precision representation by "extending" it with0-bits. IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE VALUE! It only adds "trailing zeros." Thus, since val4 was not exactly equal to 3.0E-3 to begin with, val8 will not be exactly equal to 3.0E-3.

Note that if you execute the statement

[fortran]val8 = 3.0E-3  !  val8 is REAL(8)[/fortran]
you will get the same resultbecause the exact same operations are taking place:the bestIEEE single-precision representation of 3.0E-3 is converted to IEEE double-precision format.

(I realize there is notational confusion here. In code, 3.0E-3 is a REAL(4) constant; in text, 3.0E-3 means the arithmetic number 0.003.)

As Jim says, you will get a better representation (i.e., the approximation error is less) to 3.0E-3 with

[fortran]val8 = 3.0D-3[/fortran]
However, if errors this small are in fact causing your numeric problems, you need to examine the numerical stability of the algorithms you are using and the way they've been implemented in your code.
0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
>>However, if errors this small are in fact causing your numeric problems, you need to examine the numerical stability of the algorithms you are using and the way they've been implemented in your code.

In situations were values are integrated (e.g. Finite Element Analysis) it is usuallynota case of numerical instability, rather it is the case of the precision of the numbers. Small errors accumulate and may accumulate as a factor of the square or cube of the error.

Jim
0 Kudos