Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

segmentation fault help needed

Sandhu__Nicky
Beginner

I am porting a legacy fortran and C program from windows to linux. I was able to compile and link to get an executable but now the run fails with segmentation fault. 

forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred
Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source
hydro              0887AE70  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
hydro              08099AD7  dsm2_init_                176  dsm2_init.f
hydro              08064EA1  MAIN__                    151  fourpt.f
hydro              08064ABA  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown

The failing call is getpid function from module use ifort. However when run with LD_DEBUG=all it complains about an unreferenced  symbol "scalable_malloc" right around the time it fails (see further below). Any help on how to tackle this would be great. Thanks

56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=../../bin/hydro [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/mkl/lib/ia32_lin/libmkl_intel.so [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/mkl/lib/ia32_lin/libmkl_intel_thread.so [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/mkl/lib/ia32_lin/libmkl_core.so [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/compiler/lib/ia32_lin/libiomp5.so [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/compiler/lib/ia32_lin/libirng.so [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/compiler/lib/ia32_lin/libcilkrts.so.5 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/libstdc++.so.6 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/libm.so.6 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/libpthread.so.0 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/libdl.so.2 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/libc.so.6 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/lib/ld-linux.so.2 [0]
     56755:     symbol=scalable_malloc;  lookup in file=/opt/intel/parallel_studio_2019/compilers_and_libraries_2019.0.117/linux/compiler/lib/ia32_lin/libintlc.so.5 [0]
     56755:     ../../bin/hydro: error: symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: scalable_malloc (fatal)
     56755:

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Juergen_R_R
Valued Contributor I

The ifort librares are 32bit libraries. Are you sure you want to have 32bit libraries?

Sandhu__Nicky
Beginner

Yes, the code was compiled and running with 32 bit on Windows using ifort and icc. I want to port it as 32 bit and test before attempting to migrate to 64 bit.

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

scalable_malloc is part of TBB (Threading Building Blocks). The TBB scalable allocator was added to OpenMP (4.0).

Try adding the TBB libraries.

Also note that your link is loading

MKL + OpenMP + Cilk

It is unusual to see OpenMP + Cilk in an application.

Does your application really contain multiple different threading paradigms?

OpenMP uses the TBB scalable allocator and possibly a sub-set of its task manager, but is not build on top of TBB. IOW OpenMP uses a thread pool designed for OpenMP and not a thread pool as used by TBB (same with Cilk). While an application can be built using multiple thread pool designs, this typically results in oversubscription of threads.

Jim Dempsey

Sandhu__Nicky
Beginner

Hi Jim,

I added the TBB libraries with no effect.

I was able to write a small program that failed and reducing the libraries one by one I was able to identify an old (from 80's) library that was causing the problem. 

Turns out that library defines its own getpid function in C that was being linked in by the compiler with no warnings and possibly overrode the system (ifport) provided version causing segmentation fault. 

Thanks for all your help.

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Good detective work. getpid would be O/S dependent. From the 80's predates Linux and was likely an old Unix variant.

Jim Dempsey