Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

stdout, unit 6, and 64bit

Lars_Jakobsen
Beginner

Hi all,

We are in the process of porting our code from 32bit to 64bit.

This code has unit 6 attached to an output file (file on disk) and uses write(6,*) when writing to the output file and write(*,*) when writing to the screen. This works well in 32bit. In 64 bit however, write(*,*) is written both to the file and the screen (write(6,*) still only writes to the output file).

This program is originally ported from VMS and has the /VMS option set to yes. I have been told that this is why it has been working so far in 32bit - is this true?

Is there a way to get this to work in 64bit?

I am using "Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 14.0.3.202 [Intel(R) 64]"

Regards

Lars

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Most likely is that you set an option for the Win32 configuration but not for the x64 configuration. Check the project properties. The option that controls this is /assume:[no]old_unit_star. The default is old_unit_star, which separates unit * from units 5/6.

/vms has nothing to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit and I don't think /vms affects this behavior. But /standard-semantics does (Language > Assume Fortran 2003 semantics)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

I noted from help that:

• Implied logical unit numbers

The vms option enables Intel® Fortran to recognize certain environment variables at run time for ACCEPT, PRINT, and TYPE statements and for READ and WRITE statements that do not specify a unit number (such as READ (*,1000)).

So perhaps the 32 bit and 64 bit environments are different?

Why do you need the vms option?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Most likely is that you set an option for the Win32 configuration but not for the x64 configuration. Check the project properties. The option that controls this is /assume:[no]old_unit_star. The default is old_unit_star, which separates unit * from units 5/6.

/vms has nothing to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit and I don't think /vms affects this behavior. But /standard-semantics does (Language > Assume Fortran 2003 semantics)

0 Kudos
Lars_Jakobsen
Beginner

Thank you both

You are right my settings was different. The culprint was the /standard-semantics (F2003Semantics="true").

Regards

Lars

0 Kudos