Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

support for additional parallel features in TS18508 Fortran standard

DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

I recently noticed that the Intel Fortran Compiler 2018 apparently does not support the new additional parallel features described in TS18508 Fortran standard. GFortran provides partial support for some of the features. Are there any plans at Intel to add the new Coarray features to ifort in the near future? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

We do plan to add these features, staged over multiple releases.

Do you have a personal priority list?   That is, is there a feature (or two) from the TS18508 that you're most interested in?   That sort of feedback is helpful in planning.

Regards --

--Lorri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

We do plan to add these features, staged over multiple releases.

Do you have a personal priority list?   That is, is there a feature (or two) from the TS18508 that you're most interested in?   That sort of feedback is helpful in planning.

Regards --

--Lorri

0 Kudos
DataScientist
Valued Contributor I

The concept of TEAMs is obviously very powerful and useful. But if the implementation of TEAMs is a long term goal for ifort developers, then COLLECTIVE subroutines and EVENTs take precedence (for our work). The addition of the latter two would also bring the two popular compilers (GFortran and Intel ifort) to the same level of conformance to the standard. If TEAMs are a long term goal for Intel, what would be the timeline for its full implementation?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

Ok, thanks for your feedback.

We'll use your input about COLLECTIVEs and EVENTs to help prioritize the "additional coarray features" work.

As you've already realized, TEAM variables affect everything coarray related, and yes, it's a longer term deliverable.  

Finally, as much as I would *love* to give you hard-and-fast dates for implementation, I cannot do that.  All I can do is assure you that this is important to us, and the more we hear about feature priorities, the better we can respond.

--Lorri

0 Kudos