Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

v8.1 update installation

HKort
Beginner
Do I have to remove v8.0 before I install v8.1, or can I just install it over the old version.
Thanks,
Haje

Message Edited by hajekorth on 09-14-2004 09:57 AM

0 Kudos
58 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I will be very annoyed if this problem did not stay fixed. Please file a support request about it and we will investigate.
When you installed, did you specify that IVF should be installed on F?

Message Edited by sblionel on 09-16-2004 11:30 AM

0 Kudos
kknebel
Beginner
Yes Jugoslav
something like that would help very much.
Klaus
0 Kudos
nijhuis
Beginner
Jugoslav,
I think an overview as you suggest will help.
Guus
0 Kudos
nigel-b-nunn
Beginner
More thanks to Hans!
I too install VStudio and IVF on D:. After shuffling IVF81files from some enormously long path on C: toselected path on D:, it looks like IVF is now integrated with VStudio 2003. (remembers DEC daysfondly :-)
Nigel
0 Kudos
dhalpern
Beginner
Steve,
I've encountered the same problem as others have, that is I tried to install ivf 8.1 on drive e as opposed to drive c. See issue number
267272. I'm still waiting for a remedy.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Sorry for this - I don't understand how this could get broken again, and why we didn't notice before release. Both questions will get answers.
On the general issue of confusion in the Premier Support downloads and the difficulty of locating the install link in the web page, look for changes in both areas.
0 Kudos
hansr
Beginner
Steve,
the problems dont't come on each pc - my collegue, also with installation on D:, had no problems with installation.
Hans
0 Kudos
ipattielgc
Beginner
Ok, I had a clean install of VS .NET 2003, on drive E:, and in directory e:VsNetPro.
I then installed IVF 8.1 into e:VsNetProIVF81.
I found the directories on C:, copied lots of stuff everywhere as per hints above, but VS remains oblivious to IVF existence.
Changine the name from IVF81 to "INTEL FORTRAN" did not help.
I think I'm borked! This'll teach me to change names during install...
0 Kudos
hansr
Beginner
Hi Gonzalo,
sorry, I can only repeat my special solution.
I had installed MS Visual Studio .net in "D:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003"and the IF8-Licence-Dir in "C:Program FilesCommon FilesIntel". And it worked well with IF8.0.
The installation of IF8.1 (after deinstallation of IF8.0) made a second dir:
"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003" with the subdirs "COMMON7" and "INTEL FORTRAN". These subdirs I copiedover the yet existing same subdirs on D:....
As said, my collegue had no problems with (nearly) the same dir-structure.
But I have had the problems yet with earlier IF8-Versions with Dot.net 2002 in February, but they seemed to be fixed with w_fc_pc_8[1].0.047.
Maybe there is something wrong in my registry, because I have installedyet CVF (with MS Visual Studio 6) in "C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioDF98" .
Sorry, that's all I know, but it's a good idea that this should be corrected asap by Intel.
Hans
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
We are having difficulty reproducing this problem here. Would those of you who get the files placed on the wrong disk please tell me which language variant of Windows and/or VS.NET you are using? Some of us think it may be specific to certain non-English versions, but we've tried German so far and it has worked fine.
0 Kudos
hansr
Beginner
Thats my languages:
D:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 :
Microsoft Visual Studio .NETenterprise developer = german
C:WINNTMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322 with german language pack
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional: Version5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195 = internat. edition with german language pack
(But my collegue has the same languages and no problems, but an other history.)
good luck
Hans
0 Kudos
dhalpern
Beginner
Steve
I have visual studio net 2003 installed in
e:program filesMicrosoft Visual .Net2003
This is a proacademic us english version.
My operating system is windows 2000 professional 5.00.2195 service pack 4, again us english version.
I am still waiting for a meaningful and helpful response from Intel tech support. The last response I got asked whether I was using windows xp. I have been very disappointed with thequality of support I have received from intel since I upgraded from digital visual fortran. My issue number is 267272.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Would those of you who are experiencing this problem of the failed integration please do the following and post your results?

1. open any command window

2. go to OptPkg.dll directory: intelcppideVS2003

3. run "regsvr32 OptPkg.dll"

David, I'm sorry you're not happy with our support. Clearly misunderstandings and misreadings can happen, but I think that overall the support is better than CVF's - and I should know, as I was providing the bulk of CVF support on my own.

0 Kudos
dhalpern
Beginner
Steve, I cannot find the file "OptPkg.dll" nor can I find the directory that you referred to in yor message:
"2. go to OptPkg.dll directory: intelcppideVS2003"
I have searched all my drives for the dll files and cannot find it.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Sorry about that. I should have read the instructioins more clearly - they are for the C++ compiler. They don't apply to Fortran.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The Fortran dlls are below under "Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003Intel FortranVFPackages":

vfavwin.dll
vffortsvc.dll
vfproj.dll
vfprojconvert.dll
vftoolopt.dll

Please try a "regsvr32" command on each of these DLLs and tell me if any of them fail to register.

0 Kudos
wkramer
Beginner
Hello Steve,
I had no problem registering the dll's
IVF created the following directories during installation:
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio.NET
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio.NET 2003
Whereas Visual Studio .NET 2003 was installed on H: drive.at the time of installation
Installation of IVF on H: drive

Applying the method suggested by Hans solved the problem for me.

My configuration is a follows:
English Language editions of:
Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
Microsoft Development Environment 2003 Version 7.1.3088
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version 1.1.4322
Dutch language edition of:
Windows XP Home edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
Walter Kramer

Message Edited by wkramer on 09-22-2004 11:04 AM

0 Kudos
dhalpern
Beginner

Steve, I followed your instructions, that is I registered the files

vfavwin.dll
vffortsvc.dll
vfproj.dll
vfprojconvert.dll
vftoolopt.dll

which were to my surprise in my c: drive since I thought that I had installed visual studio and the intel fortran compiler in drive e.

So now it seems I am able to use microsoft visual studio!

0 Kudos
hansr
Beginner
Steve, I would tell the same asdhalpern.at.obelix .Why are they on C:...?.
Maybe once a wrongattempt to install in c: in the installation history?
Hans
0 Kudos
ipattielgc
Beginner
Steve, registering the .dll s worked, and now all is well, even with my non standard dir names on different drives.
Ask your test team if they trulystarted from a "clean" machine, or if they had uninstalled a previous version, then installed the latest. This would explain why copy worked for some not otthers (like me, who had a reformatted hard drive before installation on drive e:).
Thanks for the help! Ian.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Thanks for the feedback - the information is helpful.
0 Kudos