Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

windows Vs linux command line

gue__bat
Beginner

Dear all,

I am working on a project where I have 4 fortran files: A.f90 is the main subroutine in which I have the line

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES DLLEXPORT::A

and where I call the 3 others modules (let's call them B_mod.f90 C_mod.f90 and D_mod.f90 ).

To compile them on windows (I want a .dll output file), I do:

>ifort /c B_mod.f90 C_mod.f90 D_mod.f90

and :

ifort /dll A.f90 B_mod.obj C_mod.obj D_mod.obj /link libai_analogy.lib libai_saber.lib /NODEFAULTLIB:LIBCMT.lib

That works well and I get my A.dll output file (~231ko), and works properly later when it is called by another program on windows.

Now I would like to do the same on linux (debian 9), so I do:

>ifort -c A.f90 B_mod.f90 C_mod.f90 D_mod.f90

>ifort -shared -o A.dll A.o B_mod.o C_mod.o D_mod.o -Xlinker libai_analogy.lib libai_saber.lib

At first sight, it compiles without any error message, however the output dll file is this time ~452ko, and is not working when I call him later.

Could you please tell me where I am doing something wrong, and how can I proceed properly with linux?

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Shared libraries on linux are of file type .so

For help see: https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/06/linux-shared-libraries/

Jim Dempsey

mecej4
Black Belt

You may also need to specify -fpic because many versions of Unix require that objects being linked into a shared library contain only position-independent code.

gue__bat
Beginner

Thanks Jim,

ok so "libai_analogy.so" instead of "libai_analogy.lib" for instance.

But what if I don't have the ".so" files ? (I only have .lib files because they are coming from a windows software). Can I do something ?

Thanks for your help

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

You can't use Windows-compiled code on Linux. You'll have to rebuild the libraries from sources (or get them in a Linux-targeted form that works with Intel Fortran.)