Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

x64 IDE

davidspurr
Beginner
This may be premature, but I am interested in what the future holds re IDE support for x64 development.

According to docs for VS 2005, a minimum of the Professional version seems to be required for 64-bit Compiler Support.
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/)

Does that mean VS 2005 Professional will be required for IVF x64 IDE support ??

Based on prices quoted on the MS web site, VS 2005 Professional is likely to cost NZ$1,508 - more than six times the current cost of Visual C++ .NET Standard 2003. That would be a substantial overhead on the Fortran compiler cost.

Any possibility of a (considerably) cheaper option for x64 IDE support?

David

Message Edited by david_spurr on 11-07-2005 06:15 PM

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
I think the Standard Edition will suffice for Intel Visual Fortran developing native applications on x64. The system requirements I was given for the next release say this. I will confirm this and let you know.
0 Kudos
jim_dempsey
Beginner
I am worried about that too. One potential way to overcome this, which I haven't experimented with since I don't have a WinXP x64 system, is to do something similar to what Windows Device Driver developers do.
You use two systems. One is the development system (Win32) and the other is System Under Test (Win64). The way it would work is to compile on the development system targeting x64. For debugging you could use Intel's debugger (thus loosing the integrated debugging feature) or you might be able to use MS's WinDbg which is a remote debugging tool.
Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
The word I have from those who track this is that MS has waffled on this a number of times during the past few months, but as far as we know, the Standard Edition will suffice for native development on x64. If that changes, we recognize that it is a big problem.

It is possible to fudge paths in VC++.NET 2003 to invoke the EM64T compiler, using the Platform SDK for a linker, but you can't debug in the IDE. (The Intel Debugger works, though.)

Eclipse and the Photran project may also be worth keeping an eye on as far as an IDE goes.
0 Kudos
jim_dempsey
Beginner

I haven't use the Intel Debugger for some time now and I do not mind using a non-integrated debugger. My biggest complaint of using the Intel debugger was in dereferencing user defined types. I am sure you have that fixed now.

Using two systems for development is not all that bad. I use multiple x32 systems now. Occasionaly I type on the wrong keyboard or use the wrong mouse. Other than for those quirks development using multiple systems is relatively easy. I've got no desk space (2 x 20" CRTs + 21" CRT +17" laptop).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
davidspurr
Beginner
To clarify - by "suffice for native development on x64" do you mean that it would be possible to generate executables that will run on x64 (my concern), or that the development system can be x64?

From my reading of the MS web site
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/products/compare/default.aspx it seems a minimum of the Professional Edition is required for compiling programs to run on x64? (scroll down to "64-bit Compiler Support").

David
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It is our belief that the Standard Edition will work to generate x64 executables on an IA-32 host using the Intel compiler. And maybe even an x64 host? As MS kept changing its mind, we have to get the retail versions and test them to see what works and what doesn't. If I get new information, I'll let you know.
0 Kudos
jim_dempsey
Beginner

Effectively what Win32 VS .NET 2003 does is present you with a GUI makefile system. The Build button essentialy performs a make. With the proper setup of the environment variables the calls to32bit compiler / linker can be replaced with calls to the 64-bit compiler / linker (excuse me, the 32-bit compiler/linker can be instructed to produce code for a 64-bit operating system).

Should this not hold true, then Plan B

Plan B is place in a directory inPATH, prior to the Intel directory, an IFORT.BAT file that RPC's to statement over to yourWin64. i.e. VS runs on the Win32 system but compiles and links on the Win64 system.

If you do not like pushing the program from a Win32 system then instal Terminal Server on the Win32 system and connect from the Win64 system as a Terminal Server Client. Run theVS on Win32through the Terminal Server. (or invent you own hack)

I may be experimenting with this in the next few months as I would like to order a new system with Win64 (don't know which 64-bit OS)

Note, this same hack can be done to use VS .NET to run compilations on a Linux box.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos