Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

your father's Fortran

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Yesterday I read a post in Fortran. Discourse that said that modern Fortran was not your father's Fortran. 

Then I read a post from 2005, about a Fortran Programmer who had 40 years experience in Fortran II and IV.

Here is a picture of a Fortran programmer who will not learn the language until at least 2032, she can program into the next century. 

315088843_10227996998685501_6919412221520646448_n.jpg  

yes she is related and no Santa surprises for guessing how.  

3 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

SLICOT is a Fortran program from 2005.  It does subspace stuff for dynamic analysis.  

The source files are set up for NMAKE.  I have never used NMAKE, and would prefer to update to a VS 2022 IFX.  

Has anyone ever used the following program to do that ::

nmake2msbuild.exe  

The program is written in Visual Fortran 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

John,

It looks like you can create a Solution with multiple Projects.

The first project is a library (perhaps static), to create slicot.lib from the *.f files in src.

While you could add additional projects, one for each example .exe, I suggest you maybe pick one or a few representative from the examples or examples77 folder, just for testing, exploring, modifying the slicot.lib *.f files.

For the bulk of the examples/examples77, continue to use nmake to make the 100's of sample programs.

You will have to mess around to get your environment (directories) setup for VS, but that is only a onetime struggle.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Thanks.  I only want one of the programs.  Now to find it.  

Everybody does this in matlab, I hate teaching students matlab, teach them Fortran.  

Matlab is an easy teaching program it is not a real tool.  Professors are lazy 

0 Kudos