Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Can't profile Desktop OpenGL apps?

stone__john1
Beginner

Hi,

Just got a license to Indie 2015 professional and I want to profile my desktop opengl app.

When I launch the "Graphics Frame Analyzer for OpenGL" the only option I see is "Emulated OpenGL ES" and clicking Add asks me to Connect an Android device.

What gives?   How can I profile my desktop OpenGL app?

John.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

I'm sorry about your issue with Frame Analyzer.  We currently do not support desktop OpenGL for windows hosts and targets, but we do support desktop OpenGL for Ubuntu Linux host and targets.   

If you have a linux partition on your development system, you could try to analyze your application in that environment.  If you have any questions about getting that setup, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
stone__john1
Beginner

Seth,

What about this?

software [dot] intel [dot] com/en-us/gpa_getting_started_win#Getting_Started_for_Windows__applications

John.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

This is a great getting started guide if you are looking to profile Windows (DirectX) applications.   I could see how this would be confusing though.  It implies its for DirectX by requiring the DirectX Runtime but does explicitly say this is just for DirectX applications. 

Thank you for pointing this out!  I'll work on getting this changed and making it more clear.  

For getting you up and running, do you have an Ubuntu system you could perform your application profiling on?

software[dot]intel[dot]com/en-us/gpa_getting_started_ubuntu#Getting_Started_with_Analyzing_Ubuntu_Desktop_Applications

Best,

Seth

0 Kudos
Oueoue__Teybeo
Beginner

Hi, I would love to see OpenGL (desktop) support in GPA on Windows too :)

Currently, my dev machine has an i7 Haswell + Nvidia 965M and while I can run my GL app on both the HD4000 and 965M, there's no tools to access the performance counters on these gpus (*).

Intel GPA only support GL on Ubuntu and even though Nvidia Nsight has some tools working with OpenGL, the Frame Profiler/Shader Debugger are not supported on Optimus systems, as you can see here https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-visual-studio-edition-requirements.

* I know there are APIs to access the counters but 1. it requires a lot of work to integrate in a cross-vendor fashion in my app and 2. I have no intention to build a profiler nor will use them for special goals like load-balancing, i just want to see them.

0 Kudos
Seth_S_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the input Teybeo.  I'll pass on the feature request to the product owner. :)

Cheers!

Seth

0 Kudos