Intel GPA is quite impressive, one of the best tools I've recently found :)
Unfortunately, I'm unable to capture a frame in my own DirectX 11 application (for testing reasons I deleted all code except the DirectX Initialization and Present). It always fails with the message "Preview image conversion failed" and the following log:
[00002d04] 16:52:46:641 | INFO | INTERCEPTOR | InterceptorDll.cpp:68 | GPA shim DLL attached.
[00002d04] 16:52:47:416 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:824 | D3D11 device context 00C9CBD4 created
[00002d04] 16:52:47:525 | INFO | INTERCEPTOR | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:3101 | Initializing Metrics Pipeline: ok
[00002d04] 16:52:50:620 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:3906 | Frame capture requested: C:\Users\Tobias\Documents\GPA\PostEffects_2016_09_07__16_52_50_615.gpa_frame
[00002d04] 16:52:50:620 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:859 | Start capture
[00002d04] 16:52:50:653 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:3924 | Capture message: Preview image conversion failed
[00002d04] 16:52:55:724 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:3906 | Frame capture requested: C:\Users\Tobias\Documents\GPA\PostEffects_2016_09_07__16_52_55_712.gpa_frame
[00002d04] 16:52:55:724 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:859 | Start capture
[00002d04] 16:52:55:767 | INFO | CAPTURE | ShimMgt\CaptureManager.cpp:3924 | Capture message: Preview image conversion failed
I tried it in other applicatiosn and there it works perfectly, such as World of Warcraft oder Starcraft 2. When I use DirectX 9 in my Application it works too. Under DirectX 11 the HUD is even showing and I can see the graphs running and use the debug option. Only the frame capture doesn't work.
Do you have any directions for me?
Thanks in advance!
Sorry for the late response!
I have a couple workarounds you can try for frame capturing:
Also, If you could post your about dialog here so I can see what driver version and version of GPA you are using, that would be great.
If these workarounds do not work for you, we might need to get a copy of your application so we can reproduce the issue here.
I finally got it working today, while I was assembling the files to upload for you. The reason was a unused import of the DirectX 9 headers, which statically linked the DLLs into the application. I have no idea why this prevented the Graphics Monitor from capturing, but now with lazy loading everything works fine! It's curious that if I used DirectX 9 for rendering it worked, but with DirectX 11 and loaded DirectX 9 not.
If you want to track down this issue nevertheless, I've added all information you requested:
The workarounds didn't worked for me, nothing happened.
My About dialog:
Windows 10 build 10586, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 4
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.60 (07/03/2013)
Video BIOS: Version 80.04.C3.00.13 (06/06/13)
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
No support for GPA Instrumentation
Install directory: C:\Program Files\IntelSWTools\GPA_16.2\
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current Graphics Performance Analyzers 2016 R2 (16.2.299487)
Secure Boot/Trusted Boot is Disabled
And finally two reduced applications, one working one not:
Great! Glad to hear that everything is working now!
I have a couple ideas of why this could have failed. I'l grab your apps and I'll see if we can get a fix in for this.
Anyway, i'm glad you are unblocked. :)