Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas

Executable crash when analyzing application

Ronan_Bel
Beginner

Hi.

I've just updated one of my computer (running Win7 x64 SP1 with NVidia driver 344.11 ) with GPA 2014 R3

and VTune installed

launching my EXE (x86) with the Graphic Monitor "analyse application" gives a crash in tpsstool.dll (seems to come from vtune)

if I select the entry "disable tracing" in the "Preferences" of "Graphic Monitor", crash doesn't occur anymore.

There was no crash with GPA 2014 R1 (same OS, same Nvidia driver, same executable)

to be exhaustive, prior to this crash, I had to hack the registry following this post (so there are 2 issues):

The following thing should help you:
Please modify the following values in the register:
    LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs
    LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs
by adding some letter or random string to make it non-empty. For example add 'A'. 

Cheers :)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is some conflict with Vtune, but I'll need some more info on your configuration.

So could you once again right-click the GPA Monitor in the notification tray and copy the "About.." data for your specific configuration? Also, can you please let me know what version of VTune you are using? This will help the team that checks this out.

thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

The development team is also interested in knowing why the changes to the registry are needed -- is there an issue with GPA Monitor or the NVidia driver that this change supposedly fixes? If a GPA fix, what were the symptoms, and is this still needed with the latest GPA?

Also, they want to know your specific configuration (GPA Monitor "About..."), and whether this issue occurs with other than your sample app. In other words, do things like gpasample.exe run ok with tracing enabled.

Thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hello Ronan,

Any more info on this? I've sent this along to the VTune team, and they are unable to duplicate the issue with the information you've provided.

thanks!

Neal

0 Kudos
Ronan_Bel
Beginner

Hi.

The issue seems to be fixed with latest GPA (14.3.0.232800) and NVidia drivers 9.18.13.4448 :)

(no crash, timings are coherent)

0 Kudos
Neal_Pierman
Valued Contributor I

Hi Ronan,

Thanks for letting me know that this is fixed, and I'm glad that you're back up and running with GPA.

Regards,

Neal

0 Kudos