I am having problems getting a frame capture with the version 2012 R3 (12.3.174307).
The HUD appears fine while the app is running but when I attempt a frame capture it says "Invalid Parameters" and "Capture Failed" underneath that. All of the tests (2x2 Texture, Simple Pixel Shader, etc) seem to work fine. Other applications seem to capture fine for me.
OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 (220.127.116.11)
Thank you in advance for any help.
Sorry that you're running into this problem -- let's see what we can do to help isolate and resolve the issue.
First of all, I'm assuming that your game runs correctly without Intel GPA, and that the error only occurs when using Intel GPA when capturing a frame.
I believe that what may be happening is that your game is accessing a texture or other resource that is unique to Nvidia -- that is, you are using an extension that is unique to this vendor's graphics card. While Intel GPA attempts to correctly work with the most common extensions, there still may be some that we don't handle correctly.
To help determine if this is the case, first of all right-click on the Intel GPA icon in the notification tray, then copy the "About..." info here, and if Intel GPA created an XML error file please copy that here as well.
I'm not sure where I would find the XML error file generated. I looked in program files as well as the documents location. I found a monitorlog.txt but all it contained was one line: "2012-08-08 17:53:32 Frame cannot be captured.". If there is another place/file that would be helpful I will try to locate it.
Here is the information from the "About..." section:
Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit DEP enabled
Num Processors: 8
System BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1203 (05/24/2012)
Video BIOS: Version 70.10.34.00.84 (02/29/12)
Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
No support for GPA Instrumentation
GPA install directory: C:\Program Files\Intel\GPA\2012 R3\
GPA version: 12.3.174307
Current user is in Administrators group: YES
Current GPA 2012 R3 (12.3.174307)
1) One thing I do know is that we don't support Windows Server. Would you be able to try this on a non-server version of Windows in order to see if you still get the same error?
2) In parallel, if there is an XML error file created, it would probably be located somewhere in this directory:
So you probably don't have a error file created; is there any more info displayed on the screen when you get the error message?
3) See if running Intel GPA System Analyzer in the client/server mode (instead of the HUD) gives you different results (even if both the client and target are the same system).
One thing to note that I just found out is when our application is loading (very simple rendering) it will capture correctly but when the application is past the loading section and doing interesting work, from that point forward it will get the capture failed messages when attempting to capture.
1) I was not aware of that and maybe that explains it. I will try to try down a different OS and try that and get back to you.
2) I double checked and didn't see any error type XML files in there. The info displayed on screen is only "invalid parameters" with "capture failure" below that.
3) I tried running the client/server mode and doing a capture from that but got the same error.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do some more checking at this end in parallel with this info while you see if you can try a non-server version of the OS.