Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA)
Improve your game's performance by quickly specifying problem areas
490 Discussions

Intel Graphics Frame Analyzer Poort User Experience

GyeNyame2040
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using a 2022 HP ENVY 15-core laptop with Intel Xe graphics card.

I tried to capture OpenGL calls but up until now with no success.

The user interface for all 4 Analyzers is confusing:

1) All analyzers open the same monitoring Application (Graphics Monitor) when Clicking on the <Run Graphics Monitor> button; however actual captures (Frame, Trace, Stream) can only be done from keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-Sh-C, Ctrl-Sh-T, and L resp.).

BETTER: Create the capture immediately AFTER stopping/closing the HUD window;

2) Stream capture isnt added automatically to the Graphics Monitor even after pressing (and maintaining the L key) or stopping the capture;

3) After making a Frame capture (Ctrl-Sh-C), the new capture appears on the right of the Graphics Monitor (as expected) but cannot be opened (see attached picture)

4) When making a Stream Capture, I get the message (OpenGL calls capturing is not supported)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Pamela_H_Intel

Hello,

I am listing your questions here so that I can respond in-line. I am assuming Windows because it appears you are using the GUI tools, not GPA Framework.

I tried to capture OpenGL calls but up until now with no success.

Intel GPA's Graphics Frame Analyzer does not claim support for OpenGL on Windows. It may work, but it may not.

The user interface for all 4 Analyzers is confusing:

Sorry about that. I will do my best to clarify. I'm not sure I understand all your statements. So if my answer isn't what you were looking for, please clarify your question/statement.

1) All analyzers open the same monitoring Application (Graphics Monitor)

when Clicking on the <Run Graphics Monitor> button; however actual

captures (Frame, Trace, Stream) can only be done from keyboard shortcuts

(Ctrl-Sh-C, Ctrl-Sh-T, and L resp.).

• Each of the tools opens independently - Graphics Monitor, System Analyzer, Graphics Trace Analyzer, Graphics Frame Analyzer.
  • Graphics Monitor is the hub of our tool suite, where you set options and choose capture type.
  • When you hit the play button, the capture window opens and you then use the keyboard shortcuts so that you can interact with the capture window.

BETTER: Create the capture immediately AFTER stopping/closing the HUD

window;

• Captures are created after you complete a capture, as shown by the new thumbnail that appears on the upper right of the Graphics Monitor window. In deferred capture (using 'L') you can create as many captures as you want during a single session. So the captures are created as they are made. You could, for example, enable deferred capture, hit play, play to say, level 2, capture a stream, then play to level 5 and capture another stream. This could be over several minutes, or several hours. You wouldn't want all the data from each capture to sit in RAM while you continue to play your game.

2) Stream capture isnt added automatically to the Graphics Monitor even

after pressing (and maintaining the L key) or stopping the capture;

• Capture type is based on what you select from the drop-down menu on the bottom right of GM, before you hit play. If you want a different capture type, you need to close the capture window, select the new type, and hit play again.
  • L is only used for deferred capture which is enabled for D3D12 and Vulkan. We are working on D3D11 feature parity, but are not there yet. Deferred capture must be enabled by pressing on the toggle in Options --> Stream tab.

3) After making a Frame capture (Ctrl-Sh-C), the new capture appears on

the right of the Graphics Monitor (as expected) but cannot be opened

(see attached picture)

• If capture is successful, double clicking on the thumbnail opens the capture in the tool that applies - Graphics Trace Analyzer for a trace, Graphics Frame Analyzer for a frame or stream. Maybe the capture was not successful because you are using OpenGL, which we do not support.
  • Sometimes double clicking fails (to me it seems to be when my Windows machine needs a restart). In that case, since you captured a frame (that is what is selected on the lower right in your pic) try opening Graphics Frame Analyzer and double clicking on the thumbnail there.

4) When making a Stream Capture, I get the message (OpenGL calls

capturing is not supported)

That would be because Graphics Frame Analyzer does not support OpenGL in Windows.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pamela

0 Kudos