Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
528 Discussions

Cannot use custom type in kernel

GRodr25
Beginner

Hello,

I am unable to use a custom type in my OpenCL kernel, passing it by value (error: unsupported kernel argument type. This problem arises in compilation time). I found a solution in this question https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Nr1jn/emulation-fails-with-userdefined-data-type-for-a..., which tackles the problem passing a pointer and setting the address qualifier __global. I would rather stay with the passing by value version, due to some application constraints. I am using Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL 16.1. Is there other way to overcome this issue instead of this ugly trick?

Just in case it helps you, I reproduced the problem with a minimal kernel:

typedef struct {   char a;   char b;  } error_type;    __kernel void min_kernel(error_type err_data) {   err_data.a = 'a';   err_data.b = 'b'; }

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I had compare two OpenCL SDK version which are v16.0 and v19.3.

The latest version had stated "Pass structure parameters (struct) in OpenCL kernels either by value or as a pointer to a structure" while in v16.0 stated "Convert each structure parameter (struct) to a pointer that points to a structure".

I am checking internally whether in v16.0 can passing structure parameters by value.

Thanks

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can be able to put the struct as a parameter in the kernel declaration and then call clSetKernelArg() from host (https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL/sdk/1.2/docs/man/xhtml/clSetKernelArg.html).

For an example:

// Host

error_type et;

clSetKernelArg( min_kernel, 0, sizeof(error_type), &(et) )

Thanks

GRodr25
Beginner

Hello @MeiYanL_Intel​,

Thank your for your answer. I am afraid that will not work, since AOC will not allow me to compile min_kernel. I read in one of the Intel guides structs must be passed as pointers, indeed. So, there seems to be no other way than creating a buffer for the struct and passing a pointer to it.

Thank you.

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You are welcome.

Thanks