Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
666 Discussions

Generated code by Intel HLS does not work

HGuer2
Beginner

I have the following code:

hls_always_run_component void Target00(ihc::mm_master<word4_t,ihc::aspace<7>, ihc::awidth<32>, ihc::dwidth<32>, ihc::latency<0>, ihc::waitrequest<true> >& device_5, ihc::stream_in<word4_t>& module8_read, ihc::stream_out<word4_t>& module8_write) { static int kernel_size; static int height; static int width; static int go; static unsigned long lImageSrc_addr; static unsigned long result_array_addr; static bool is_initialized = false; if (!is_initialized) { module_init(kernel_size, height, width, go, lImageSrc_addr, result_array_addr); is_initialized = true; } unsigned char lImageSrc[76800]; unsigned char result_array[76800]; module_read_routing_712(HOST0_ID, module8_read, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&lImageSrc_addr), 1); module_read_routing_771(HOST0_ID, module8_read, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&result_array_addr), 1); module_read_routing_833(HOST0_ID, module8_read, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&kernel_size), 1); module_read_routing_889(HOST0_ID, module8_read, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&height), 1); module_read_routing_940(HOST0_ID, module8_read, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&width), 1); device_read_routing_993(DEVICEMEMORY_ID, device_5, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>((unsigned int*)lImageSrc), lImageSrc_addr, 16); device_read_routing_1074(DEVICEMEMORY_ID, device_5, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>((unsigned int*)result_array), result_array_addr, 16); module_read_routing_1164(HOST0_ID, module8_read, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&go), 1); unsigned long loffset = 0; int kernel_half = (kernel_size - 1) / 2; unsigned int pixel; int private_kernel[7][7] = { 1 }; for (int i = 0; i < height; i++) { for (int j = 0; j < width; j++) { unsigned int sum = 0, x = 0, y = 0; for (int ky = 0; ky < kernel_size; ky++) { for (int kx = 0; kx < kernel_size; kx++) { if (j + kx - kernel_half < 0) { x = 0; } else if (j + kx - kernel_half > width - 1) { x = width - 1; } else { x = j + kx - kernel_half; } if (i + ky - kernel_half < 0) { y = 0; } else if (i + ky - kernel_half > height - 1) { y = height - 1; } else { y = i + ky - kernel_half; } pixel = lImageSrc[x + y * width]; sum += ((int)pixel) * private_kernel[ky][kx]; } } // Put the result in output memory using a buffer result_array[j + (i * width)] = (sum / 49); } } device_write_routing_2218(DEVICEMEMORY_ID, device_5, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>((unsigned int*)lImageSrc), lImageSrc_addr, 16); device_write_routing_2300(DEVICEMEMORY_ID, device_5, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>((unsigned int*)result_array), result_array_addr, 16); module_write_routing_2388(HOST0_ID, module8_write, reinterpret_cast<word4_t*>(&go), 1); }

The expected behavior is the following:

1. Read 5 words from a streaming interface
  2. Read 16 words from a memory (memory map interface)
  3. Read 16 words from a memory (memory map interface)
  4. Read 1 word from a streaming interface
  5. Perform the algorithm (computation)
  6. Write 16 words to the memory (memory map interface)
  7. Write 16 words to the memory (memory map interface)
  8. Write 1 word to a streaming interface

status.png

In the generated component, the step 1 and 2 works! Steps 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 does not work. I even tried to comment out steps 3 and 4 to skip directly to the computation but I am not able to make the generated code performs steps 5, 6, 7 and 8.

At this point, I have no glue about what is going on. Can an Intel HLS engineer give me some input on this issue?

I have also attached the full cpp code + modelsim testbench.

Thanks,

Hubert

To give more context:

The step 1 is the group of function calls { module_read_routing_712, module_read_routing_771, module_read_routing_833, module_read_routing_889, module_read_routing_940 }

The step 2 is the call to device_read_routing_993.

The step 3 is the call to device_read_routing_1074.

The step 4 is the call to module_read_routing_1164.

The step 5 is the code between step 4 and 6.

The step 6 is the call to device_write_routing_2218.

The step 7 is the call to device_write_routing_2300.

The step 8 is the call to module_write_routing_2388.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ADent1
Novice

Hi,

The problem was with the avalon_mm_adapter. @HGuer2 will confirm that the message I sent him fixes the issue.

Sincerely

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ADent1
Novice

Hi,

The problem was with the avalon_mm_adapter. @HGuer2 will confirm that the message I sent him fixes the issue.

Sincerely

0 Kudos