Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

FPS drops and Screen freezing

Ronny_Herfindal
Beginner
First of all i hope I'm in the right place to post this.

Often when i play Diablo 3 I'm getting fps drops. Sometimes it gets to the point where my PC gets completely frozen and i have to cut the power and restart.

Gonna copy paste some of the parts i have in my PC.

Intel Core i7-920 Processor

Socket-LGA1366, Quad Core, 2.66Ghz, 8MB, 130W, QPI: 4,8GT/sec, Boxed

XFX GeForce GTX 285 650M 1GB PhysX CUDA

PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI, HDMI, HDCP, Graphics Plus, 3D Stereo, w/FARCRY2

I have tried to check the temperature of my pc when its completely frozen, but everytime it happens i don't have the Speedfan 4.46 or Everest window open. I run 2 Eizo 23" LCD Foris FS 2331-BK monitors.

However i have a screenshot of Speedfan 4.46 when i had very frequent FPS drops in Diablo 3.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/528/speedfanfpsdropd3.jpg

As I'm writing this i also happened to be on Diablo 3, experiencing frequent fps drops when my GPU is at 59C and CPU at 60C.

I hope you guys can give me some idea of what is wrong, this is a problem i haven't had much of in the past while playing SC2 or WoW:Cataclysm.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Hi! Probably driver or gpu related issue.I suggest you to ask for help on game developers forum.
CPU temp ,voltage and fan speed can be read with kernel debugger when your system is non-responsive.
You must find what I/O ports or memory-mapped registers(Winbond chip W83627THFis responsible for fan control)are used.
Your CPU and GPU temperatures are not critical.
FPS slowdown can be directly proportional to the complexity of rendering algorithms and host system performance(memory read-writes,driver code execution,pcie bus cycles and disk I/O when loading large textures,games's threads inter-dependencies).
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Ronny,

Quoting Ronny Herfindal
First of all i hope I'm in the right place to post this.

Often when i play Diablo 3 I'm getting fps drops. Sometimes it gets to the point where my PC gets completely frozen and i have to cut the power and restart.

I would consider two cases:

- CPU overheating ( you could measure it by itself with a thermometer for baking! )
- A bug in the game ( contact a game developer in that case )

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Ronny
TRy to narrow down your problem.
1.Reinstall game
2.Install the game on different pc.
3.Usedifferent GPU/CPU on your pc
0 Kudos