Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
For the latest information on Intel’s response to the Log4j/Log4Shell vulnerability, please see Intel-SA-00646

bogus sde behavior of 64-bit executables

Beulich__Jan
Beginner

Imo on emulated platforms not supporting 64-bit mode 64-bit executables should either not be permitted to get loaded at all, or should assume basic 64-bit functionality. However, with -p4 I get

TID 0 SDE-ERROR: Executed instruction not valid for specified chip (PENTIUM4): 0x7f0f47e3df23: movsxd rdx, dword ptr [r8+rdx*4]
Image: /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2+0x1f23 (in multi-region image, region# 0)
Function: _dl_start
Instruction bytes are: 49 63 14 90

and with -quark I get

TID 0 SDE-ERROR: Executed instruction not valid for specified chip (PENTIUM): 0x7f2c5a4e5e55: cmovz rcx, r8
Image: /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2+0x1e55 (in multi-region image, region# 0)
Function: _dl_start
Instruction bytes are: 49 0f 44 c8

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdyT_Intel

We added a check for this in the startup code. You should get a error message when trying to run 64 bits app on a CPU that has no support for 64 bits architecture.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AdyT_Intel

You are right. I'll look into this.

AdyT_Intel

We added a check for this in the startup code. You should get a error message when trying to run 64 bits app on a CPU that has no support for 64 bits architecture.