Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Error C4996 'ippsECCPGetSize': is deprecated

Peter_SP
Novice

I am using IPP version 2021.9 which is the latest version I think, so I copied a code from "Developer Guide and Reference for Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives Cryptography" which I downloaded from Intel web site days ago but for many ECC (ECDSA) functions (almost all of these functions) it shows following error:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Details
Error C4996 'ippsECCPGetSize': is deprecated. This API is considered obsolete and will be removed in one of future Intel IPP Cryptography releases. Use the following link for opening a ticket and providing feedback: https://supporttickets.intel.com/ if you have concerns.

my Compiler is Visual Studio 2022 and I can run some other IPP codes, they run fine but I have no idea why all ECC functions are reported as deprecated. is there any one who may have any idea?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_SP
Novice

I got the answer by myself so this reply is for the kind attention of other viewers:

As Intel announced here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/ipp-crypto/developer-guide-reference/2021-10/removed-functions.html

Most of ECC functions are removed since version 2020 but there are some alternative functions are introduced. 

Sorry to say the documents in PDF versions in Intel web site doesn't have this comment. I can call it weak documentation.

the other source of confusion is that in the most recent documents in Intel's site still code samples are based on these obsolete functions which of course cannot be complied.

Ruqiu_C_Intel

Hello Peter_SP,

Thank you for posting your concern here, and let other users know your observation!

I saw the content in PDF version, could you download the file again through the link, and let us know what kinds of comment are missing.

And please also tell us where you download the code samples which can't work.

Regards,

Ruqiu

0 Kudos
Peter_SP
Novice

Hi Dear Ruqiu,

Thank you very much for your kind reply and your attention. Following you may find the full story and detailed information as you requested:

Kindest Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Peter_SP
Novice

Hi Ruqiu,
Thank you for your kind reply and your attention. Following you may find the full story and detailed information as you requested:

1- Most of the ECC encryption functions are deprecated in current versions of Intel IPP. In this link you may find the full list: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/ipp-crypto/developer-guide-reference/2021-10/removed-functions.html

2- Example of removed (or absolute or deprecated functions) as reported in the above list are functions starting with “ippsECCP” like ippsECCPSet, ippsECCPSetStd, ippsECCPGetSize and so on.

3- Now if you download the document named “Developer Guide and Reference for Intel Integrated Performance Primitives Cryptography” which is kind of mother document and you can download it from this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/ipp-crypto/developer-guide-reference/2021-10/overview.html and go to page 332-334, you can see a sample code for ECDSA (ECC) and I think it is the only sample code for ECDSA encryption (digital signature) and this code is written with above mentioned deprecated functions so when I was trying to compile it, I stopped by linker error messages. Also no where around this code it is mentioned that these functions are obsolete and will not work.

4- We have the same problem and even worse in other reference documents, for example in this document: “Cryptography for Intel Integrated Performance Primitives Developer Reference” which can be downloaded from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/671366/cryptography-for-intel-integrated-performance-primitives-developer-reference.html?wapkw=Cryptography%20for%20Intel%C2%AE%20Integrated%20Performance%20Primitives%20Developer%20Reference you will find out all of these obsolete functions and all of these functions are well documented but it is NOT mentioned these functions are obsolete or deprecated, so the reader has no idea she/he is learning something which has no use any more.

BR,

Peter

Ruqiu_C_Intel

Hello Peter_SP,

Thanks a lot for your detail information.

We will work on it to fix the documents as well as the sample in the document.

Best Regards,

Ruqiu

0 Kudos
Peter_SP
Novice

Hi Dear Ruqiu,

Thank you very much for your message; your kind support is much appreciated.

Last but not least maybe you and other readers be interested to know early results of my bench-marking between Normal code running on CPU and code based on Intel IPP. Here it is:

Bench Mark:  Doing 1,000,000 operation of AES-GCM encryption  (50% of them was decryption and 25% was failed decryption based on standard vector provided by NIST). Length of each message was 512 bytes (it is simulation of APDUs of DLMS/COSEM suite 0)

Hardware platform: Intel Core i7, 12700 series

Time took to run a normal code on CPU (single thread): 14.93 s

Time took to run Intel IPP based code: 3.91s

So I positively surprised by this great boost in performance

Kindest Regards,

Pouya

0 Kudos
Ruqiu_C_Intel

Hi Pouya,

I wanted to reach out to express my sincere congratulations on the fantastic performance results you recently shared with the community.

Your willingness to share insights would foster a culture of collaboration and growth. Your contributions to the community are invaluable.

Thank you again for your continued contributions to our community.

Best Regards,

Ruqiu

0 Kudos
Peter_SP
Novice

Hi Dear Ruqiu,

Thank you very much for your warm and nice words. I cordially appreciate that you allocate your time to read posts and reply them in timely manner.

Wish you all the bests. Well Done and keep going.

Kindest Regards,

Pouya

0 Kudos