Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6714 Discussions

How to prevent H.264 encoder's rate-control algorithm from causing data overflow?

shyaki
Beginner

I am using H.264 encoder to compress a sequence of images. My application requires that each encoded frame should not be beyond a certain size, say, 10,000 bytes. I noticed that the rate-control algorithm is frame-based, which can't gurantee to meet the target. A few frames have got far beyond the limitation. I have to truncate the frame.

A simple solution is that we can do multiple encoding passes until we reach the target, but it's too time-consuming.

How can I make sure the Intel H.264 encoder doesn't cause the rate-control overflow using a more effective method?

Does the Intel h.264 codec support slice-wise, or even macro-block-wise rate-control algorithm?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

In IPP 5.2 IPP H.264 encoder only support frame based rate control mechanism. But in the next IPP version we expect to implement frame recode scheme, that should check buffer constraints and recode frame with higher QP in case of buffer overflow.

Basically I think that IPP 5.3 beta should be available sometime in Q4'07.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
shyaki
Beginner
Does Intel haveplans to implement slice-based or even macroblock-based rate control algorithms? Re-code is simple, but not suitable for real-time applications, like capture.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello, yes we are working on that, but there is no firm date when it will be available.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos