Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6716 Discussions

IPP library support for JPEG's in VVL (ICL) format

suryakiran1
Beginner

Hi,

We have an older hardware which generates JPG's in the VVL format (ICL profile).

We have tried decompressing these images using IPP which says insufficient memory buffer.

Are there any plans to support this feature? Can you give some pointers on how we

could add this support to the existing JPEG decoder code?

Can anyone provide any information on a JPEG decoder which could decompress these

images??

Regards,
Surya Kiran
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Surya,

could you please attach sample JPEG file generated by those hardware? It can help us to understand where is the issue.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
suryakiran1
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

I am attaching the jpeg file that the hardware generated. If you open the file in a hex editor it shows the format as VVL.

Regards,

Surya

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Surya,

quick test shows that the file has incorrect values in some JPEG segments (wrong quantization tables segment and wrong huffman tables segment). It is not possible to decode that image without correcting that information. You probably need to check if you configure your hardware encoder correctly.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
suryakiran1
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

Unfortunately, we dont have access to the hardware encoder. This is one of the older products that we must support and hence we need to figure out if we can handle this from the pc side software. Any idea how difficult it is to handle decoding images like this?

Regards,

Surya

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Surya,

I need to have more data generated by that encoder to see what other kind of errors it can introduce. Regarding the file in attachment, it probably can be decoded by IPP JPEG decoder if we tune it specially for that (mostly by ignoring some bad values in JPEG header). But we need to know what other kind of errors it can introduce because it is not always possible to ignore errors in headers.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
suryakiran1
Beginner

Vladimir,

I am attaching around 30 images that we got from the encoder. HTH.

Regards,

Surya

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Ok, thanks, I will look at that (it may take some time). First impression is that this codec seems has one issue which reproduced in every generated image, so can be workarounded with special version of JPEG (dedicated for images with exactly that inconsistance).

Vladimir

0 Kudos
suryakiran1
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

Could you give me an idea as to how long it would take to provide this workaround?

Regards,

Surya

0 Kudos
stray109
Beginner
Replace 0x0d 0x0a with 0x0a
0 Kudos
stray109
Beginner
Replace 0x0d 0x0a with 0x0a .
0 Kudos
stray109
Beginner
replease 0x0d 0x0a with 0x0a
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

this can take a while as I can't spent too much time on this.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

I'm sorry, but I have to say that these images can't be restored correctly. The piece of important information was lost.

Vladimir

0 Kudos