Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP on Pentium M

fongpwf
Beginner
The IPP webpage and documentation don't really mention Pentium M.
I am working on a project where we are considering using Pentium M (Dothan) 755 (2 GHz) processors instead of Pentium 4 3 GHz processors to reduce power consumption.
How does the performance of IPP compare on the two architectures?

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ying_S_Intel
Employee

Intel IPP also supports Intel Pentium M processors, it will detect such a processor as Intel Pentium 4 processors as we do not have specific optimization for Pentium M processor.

For compare the performance between Pentium M (Dothan) 755 (2 GHz) processors and Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, I would recommend you to run the Intel IPP performance tool on those two target systems. This tool is located in the directory..IPP41ia32_itanium oolsperfsys,you can run each executable filebased onthe domains tomeasure each IPP function on various Intel-based systems.Please checkthe readme file in this directory for details.

Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Ying S
Intel Corp.

0 Kudos
fongpwf
Beginner
That's interesting. I've read a number of things suggesting the Pentium M core is more similiar to the Pentium III architecture than the Pentium 4.
Also, the stuff I've read about the Intel compiler says that the Pentium M has some limitations with decoding SSE instructions and therefore prefers a different mix of instructions than the Pentium 4.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi,
you can find more details about Intel Pentium M processors family and optimization technology for them here
Regards,
Vladimir

Message Edited by vdudnik on 11-04-2004 07:31 AM

0 Kudos