Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

JPEG Encoding/Decoding and VB .Net IPP Example

gregory_may
Beginner
I looked over the IPP VB example. I was hoping to find out how to Encode/Decode JPEG's quickly with IPP. Unfortunatly, the VB example is using the built in .Net functions to Load a JPEG and convert it to a bitmap (Its easy to read, but alot going on in this statement):

'This statement loads a .Jpeg from disk into a memory Bitmap.
Dim bmp As Bitmap = New Bitmap(dlg.FileName)

I dont even know how to start navigating what is needed to replace this with the IPP equivalent.

Where do I start?

Currently My .Net code saves a BitMap into a MemoryStream. Using the built in .Net converters it takes between 75 Milisecnods and 100 Miliseconds on my P4 Laptop.:

MyBitmap.Save(MyMemoryStream, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Jpeg)

Also, I would be curious if anyone knows if the IPP libraries will give any performance savings in this case (are the IPP libraries significantly faster than the Built in .Net libraries for encoding/decoding Jpegs?)

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi,
for VB environment it is better to create DLL with high-level interface (like IJL) and write VB interface only for this DLL than for thousands low-level functions in IPP
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos