Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

JPEG basic stats IPP4/IPP5

support2
Beginner
Even if starting with IPP5 IJL20 package is no more supported it seems that this version remains necessary since new codec provided with IPP5 is right now no (more) the best in speed.
Using same PC ( P4 3Ghz HT, 1mo Ram, 512ko cache) and same test software, Using IJL20 package recompiled with IPP5 and new codec compiled with same options I have this :
640x480 x 24 bits : IJL == 4.02/4.11 ms
640x480 x 24 bits : codec ==4.05/4.13 ms
640x480 x8 bits : IJL == 3.01/3.14 ms
640x480 x8 bits : codec ==3.01/3.27ms
I've also tested with 1024x768 & 1280 x 960.
New codec has some advantage ( initial exif-tiff tags reading) and is now the only one available but I suggest we keep also IJL20, for retro-compatibility anf for speed.
SRSR
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi,
that is interesting results. Could you please share your test I want to try to reproduce it?
By the way, IPP JPEG codec uses benefits from modern dual-core architecture found in the latest Intel platforms, so it will be definetely better than old IJL codec. To get these benefits you need to compile IPP codec with Intel compiler, because it uses OpenMP threading model.
Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
support2
Beginner
Hi,
I include a test package along with some code-snippet on the way tests are internally prepared and done. To change the test you need to re-define params in .ini files :
[Device1]
#width=640 ==> width
#height=480 ==> height
#bpp=24 ==> bits per pixel ( 8 or 24)
#dwMilli=40 ==> scheduling time in millisecs
#buffers=12 ==> number of buffers to use
#displayMod=2 ==> modulo for display or to avoid display
#JPEGQuality=75 ==> jpeg quality
Unfortunatly this package is related to a more complete package and it's not so simple to only send you a full self-contained source-code example.
Anyway I hope this will help.
Nota_ I've testes Intel's Compiler 9.0 for regular 30 days period so it is too late now to use it to generate a new version of IPP5 Jpeg Codec...
SRSR
0 Kudos