Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6712 Discussions

Legal obligations on usage of Intel JPEG Library Ijl15.dll

omershahid
Beginner
Hi,
I amdeveloping a software for commercial use and want to include Intel JPEG Library Ijl15.dll for exporting JPEG Snapshot. I was wondering if it is legal to use this library.
Regards,
Omer Shahid
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Ying_S_Intel
Employee

Dear Customer,
As long as you keep the valid license agreement from old Intel JPEG library, you can follow the guidelines for your product distributions.

Again, Intel no longer supports this old library and strongly recommends users to check the Intel IPP that will bring more benefits for functionalities and performance.

Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Ying S
Intel Corp.

0 Kudos
omershahid
Beginner

I downloaded a open source library from the web which used IJL15.DLL. Is there anyway I can get a license for IJL15.DLL?

Omer

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Omer,

The license file is part of old IJL package, since we no long provide download/support to this old library, we do not offer license file either.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
akilla
Beginner
Similar to the above, I have an app that I wrote several years ago that uses the IJL for doing JPEG saves. I'd like to license this application to someone, but I can't find a copy of the license file for IJL to know whether I have the right to do this or not. As I recall, I used the library because it was commercially distributable as long as it was mentioned somewhere in the application's license that it was using IJL, but since I didn't keep a copy of the license around, I can't verify that. Any help?
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Here is the license file from IJL 1.5. You guys could have found it using Google just as I did.

0 Kudos
dioceseofleeds
Beginner

I have obtained an open source copy of the JPEG Library for use in an 'inhouse' database.I know that I cannot obtain a licence as the library is no loger supported by Intel,butI do have a copy of the licence (link provied by Levicki). As I have not paid for this licence is it sufficient to keep the licence aggreement to meet our legal obligations?Thanks.

Sean

0 Kudos
djmitchella
Beginner
Actually reading the license, it contains:

"Upon Intel's release of an update, upgrade or new version of the Materials, you will make reasonable efforts to discontinue distribution of the enclosed Materials and you will make reasonable efforts to distribute such updates, upgrades or new versions to your customers who have received the Materials herein."

So because there's now the IPP (v5.3), this section sounds as if nobody can use the 1.5 version of the library without breaking the license. The IPP contains the IJL as part of it -- I'm not sure if this legally counts as "an upgrade" or not, but it builds to something called ijl20.dll, which is presumably v2.0 of the IJL, which is a newer version.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Please note that JPEG-IJL sample, which is part of IPP sample package is distributed with its own license. The example of implemenation IJL API with IPP is not an upgrade for old Intel JPEG Library product and was intended to simplify migration from IJL to IPP API. We recommend to useIPP JPEG codec

And this should be made clear - you need to address your license concerns to your company legal department.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
young1392
Beginner

Hi.

I have some questions like below.

1. Ideveloped a software for product a few years ago using IJL15 too.
and the product already was sold to our customers.

But, as your above attached license,
Does it mean, we will have to make (reasonable) efforts to upgradeIJL15 up versionregarding
theproduct which was already sold?

2. I have a plan to purchase your IPP software.
At the link (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-purchase/),
I can see that License type is only Single User.
Does another license exist?

3. I want to see the license text regarding IPP software.
But, I can't seethat license except the following license.
(http://softwarestore.ispfulfillment.com/store/LicensingOptions.aspxor
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-products-license-agreement)
Is it the right license of IPP software?

Regards,
Young

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Yong,

1. As I understand, IJL1.5 may follow itself's license, IPP's licensedoesn't cover IJL. they are independent.
Here is IPP's EULA
Location of the End User License Agreement (EULA)
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/end-user-license-agreement/

2. There are other license typeexisting, you may contact your local reseller.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-license-questions/

3. yes, IPP license is same as intel software product license.

But this Intel IPP licensing FAQ answers many questions regarding how the Intel IPP library is licensed for development and for redistribution to your customers. And these additional FAQs are an excellent source of answers to general questions regarding registration, licensing and downloading Intel software development products.

General Software Products Registration FAQ
General Software Products Licensing FAQ
General Software Products Downloading FAQ

Best Regards,
Ying

0 Kudos