cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frenet
Beginner

Problems linking to IPP libs on 64-bit Linux

Jump to solution

I am statically linking to the ipp, umc & uic libraries. I am using IPP 6.1.6.063 and have downloaded the 6.1 sample code. I am using g++.

I can build my own shared object that statically links to ipp and umc, but when I try to build an application that links to my shared object, I get the following link error:

/opt/intel/ipp/6.1.6.063/emt64/sharedlib/libiomp5.so: undefined reference to `pthread_atfork'

I did see the following note in this article: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-build-ipp-application-in-linux-environment/

Error message: /opt/intel/ipp/6.1.6.063/em64t/sharedlib/libiomp5.so: undefined reference to `pthread_atfork'

* Please make sure to link "-lpthread" library in your command line.

I do have -lpthread specified, but the error still occurs.

I originally had this problem under 32-bit linux, but this was resolved after specifying -lpthread after -libiomp5 in the linker file list. Using the same build command does not work under 64-bit linux though. I still get the same error.

One way to resolve this problem is to specify -lpthread when building the application. But this would require anyone using my shared object to do the same which shouldn't be necessary because as I mentioned it works properly under 32-bit linux.

Is there something specific to 64-bit that I am not considering?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chao_Y_Intel
Employee

Hello,

It looks the code is using OpenMP threading with GCC. please try to add the following two linkage flag, and see how it works:

LIBS = .... -lgomp -lpthread

Thanks,
Chao

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee
Hi,
Give me link line information, change the order of link libraries, mention -lpthread after IPP link libraries.

Regards,
Naveen Gv
frenet
Beginner
Hi,

Below is the link info for my shared object. The application only specifies this object in its link line.

Another thing that I noticed was that when building the application I needed to specify the path to libiomp in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or I would get

"/usr/bin/ld: warning: libiomp5.so, needed by ../../lib/libfrenet.so, not found"

I did not need to add the path when building the app under 32-bit linux.

UIC_LIBS = "${UIC_IMAGE_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UIC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/uic_core_l.a" \
"${UIC_IMAGE_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UIC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/uic_io_l.a" \
"${UIC_IMAGE_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UIC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/uic_jpeg_enc_l.a" \
"${UIC_IMAGE_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UIC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/uic_jpeg_dec_l.a" \
"${UIC_IMAGE_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UIC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/uic_jpeg_common_l.a"

UMC_LIBS = "${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libmpeg4_mux.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libscene_analyzer.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libh264_enc.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libcolor_space_converter.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libumc_io.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libmedia_buffers.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libcommon.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libumc.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libvm_plus.a" \
"${UMC_AVCODEC_DIR}/_bin/linux$(UMC_LIB_ARCH)_/lib/libvm.a"

IPP_STATIC_LIBS = -L/work/netcdrom/Intel/IPP/6.1.6.063/$(IPP_LIB_ARCH)/lib \
-lippdcemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippdcmerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippccemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippccmerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippcvemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippcvmerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippjemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippjmerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippvcemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippvcmerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippiemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippimerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippsemerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) -lippsmerged$(IPP_FILE_EXT) \
-lippcore$(IPP_FILE_EXT)

IPP_SHARED_LIBS = -L/work/netcdrom/Intel/IPP/6.1.6.063/$(IPP_LIB_ARCH)/sharedlib -liomp5

LIBS = -lraw1394 -lrt ${BOOST_LIB} ${BASE_LIB} ${LIBUSB} ${FREEIMAGE_LIB} ${IPP_SHARED_LIBS} ${UIC_LIBS} ${UMC_LIBS} ${IPP_STATIC_LIBS} -lpthread

g++ -Wl,-z,defs,-soname,libfrenet.so.2 -shared -o ${FULL_LIB_NAME} ${OBJS} ${LIBS} -lc

Thanks.
frenet
Beginner
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone saw anything wrong with the library order specified in my last reply. As I mentioned before, not only does this work fine under 32-bit Linux, I do no have to specify the libiomp5.so path nor link to pthread at the application level.

Thanks.
Chao_Y_Intel
Employee

Hello,

It looks that you are linking with non threaded static libraries. I think the OpenMP library is not required for your code.

If you remove the following line and "-lpthread" from the link command line, how does it work for you?

IPP_SHARED_LIBS = -L/work/netcdrom/Intel/IPP/6.1.6.063/$(IPP_LIB_ARCH)/sharedlib -liomp5

Thanks,
Chao

frenet
Beginner
Hi Chao,

If I remove the the "-lpthread" and the "-liomp" line, then my shared object fails to build. Here are a few errors from the linking stage:

Linking...
/work/netcdrom/Intel/IPP/ipp-samples-6.1.6.073/audio-video-codecs/_bin/linuxem64t_/lib/libh264_enc.a(umc_h264_video_encoder.o): In function `UMC_H264_ENCODER::H264CoreEncoder_CheckEncoderParameters_16u32s(void*)':
umc_h264_video_encoder.cpp:(.text+0x341f): undefined reference to `omp_set_num_threads'
umc_h264_video_encoder.cpp:(.text+0x3931): undefined reference to `omp_get_max_threads'

/work/netcdrom/Intel/IPP/ipp-samples-6.1.6.073/audio-video-codecs/_bin/linuxem64t_/lib/libh264_enc.a(umc_h264_gen_enc.o): In function `UMC_H264_ENCODER::H264CoreEncoder_CompressFrame_16u32s(void*, UMC_H264_ENCODER::EnumPicCodType&, UMC_H264_ENCODER::EnumPicClass&, UMC::MediaData*)':
umc_h264_gen_enc.cpp:(.text+0x3d1b): undefined reference to `GOMP_parallel_start'
umc_h264_gen_enc.cpp:(.text+0x3d2a): undefined reference to `GOMP_parallel_end'
umc_h264_gen_enc.cpp:(.text+0x4173): undefined reference to `GOMP_parallel_start'
umc_h264_gen_enc.cpp:(.text+0x4182): undefined reference to `GOMP_parallel_end'
umc_h264_gen_enc.cpp:(.text+0x41bd): undefined reference to `GOMP_parallel_start'
umc_h264_gen_enc.cpp:(.text+0x41cf): undefined reference to `GOMP_parallel_end'

Thanks.
Chao_Y_Intel
Employee

Hello,

It looks the code is using OpenMP threading with GCC. please try to add the following two linkage flag, and see how it works:

LIBS = .... -lgomp -lpthread

Thanks,
Chao

View solution in original post

frenet
Beginner
Hi Chao,

Using -lgomp and -lpthread works for me. My shared object builds and applications linking to my shared object do not require to link to -lpthread anymore. Also the path to the omp library does not need to be defined in LD_LIBRARY_PATH when building applications.

I am curious to why this happened in the first place. Is it due to the way that I built the UIC/UMC libraries on the 64-bit system?

Thanks for your help.
Chao_Y_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Glad to know it works for you now. For the reason, you do not need the 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' GCC omp library (libgomp) is in system folder, the loder can find these libraries by default.

Thanks,
Chao